shark fishing the nj surf

Rate this topic

tpane35

8 mins ago, Wampire said:

Better one than none!

Yea sir .. I gladly will grind 6 hours for one .. but by this time of year we should be seeing few a session .. this week last I was going 8-12 Browns a day 

was talking with a buddy and he brought up that off shore when they sharking every bait goes out skirted ... got me thinking , might have to tie up some and experiment.. lil flash and bucktail wrapped on a tube and slid down leader ...  ever mess with them ? 

Edited by Wire For Fire

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 5:51 PM, HighEndHooker said:

Can’t say that any are “just as good” for less expensive, but the Tsunami Airwave Elite makes a 3-8 that’s pretty nice, I have the 6-12oz that I’ll be throwing for sharks pretty soon.

wondering how the 6-12 is working for you...that is if you have used it?

1 hour ago, jeffory said:

wondering how the 6-12 is working for you...that is if you have used it?

I’ve only been able to get out once this year for sharks due to having a newborn at home, but it hauled in a cookie cutter sandbar and a decent roughtail ray. The rod has some serious turning power but still sensitive enough to really enjoy the battle and even feel crabs messing with the bait. It really launches 8+ bait, and 6-8 lead and a big chunk probably goes 65-70 yards even with my long mono shock leader. I’d really like to see how it turns a big sandbar and will report back when I get the chance.

25 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

I’ve only been able to get out once this year for sharks due to having a newborn at home, but it hauled in a cookie cutter sandbar and a decent roughtail ray. The rod has some serious turning power but still sensitive enough to really enjoy the battle and even feel crabs messing with the bait. It really launches 8+ bait, and 6-8 lead and a big chunk probably goes 65-70 yards even with my long mono shock leader. I’d really like to see how it turns a big sandbar and will report back when I get the chance.

Got it, thx for reporting back.

I am hoping to get some cooperation from mother nature this weekend since I'll be staying in Brigantine for 3 nights possibly 4 depending on the weather! I really wanna get some shark fishing in while I'm there!

Yea Mother Nature really gave some kick in the nuts .. last Friday , last day before the blow  the water was clear and tropical and full of life .. I went 12 for 15 on brown sharks in couple hours .. they were fired up .. next day blown out , brown water , huge surf and weedy , finally calmed down yesterday enough to go pitch a bait into the poo poo water ...  two bat rays and that was it .. was actually thankful to get any bite in the crap conditions.. full moon tonight not ideal and still gonna take a few days of nice weather for water to get nice again .. but I a gluten for punishment and will be back tonight 

16 hours ago, Sharkimarki said:

Gonna try around seaside park later tonight. Hopefully we have some luck. Has anyone had any reports around that area ? Ill be  casting baits. Also I  know lots of cownose Rays are around there. 

How was the fishing? Planning on one last trip in the next week and a half. 

This wasn’t in the Nottheast . I just spent 4 days at Port St Joe at the state park , Florida . It all happened on the first night . 

Got a big redfish at about 9:30 pm. Thing looked like it was a hundred years old.  C82B45A5-9622-46CF-825D-70C5B4FAE43C.thumb.jpeg.c1ed69105a524ce161acabe409f82590.jpegThe drum did not fight very hard . Was  over in a few minutes.

15 minutes later I get another hit. A long battle  ensues. Ending with me alone landing this 8.5 foot lemon .31B160C8-17AD-4F27-B8CA-30F1594498A5.thumb.jpeg.20f930e7277b6d1716853ec1a088ee45.jpeg

1 hour ago, justafisher said:

This wasn’t in the Nottheast . I just spent 4 days at Port St Joe at the state park , Florida . It all happened on the first night . 

Got a big redfish at about 9:30 pm. Thing looked like it was a hundred years old.  C82B45A5-9622-46CF-825D-70C5B4FAE43C.thumb.jpeg.c1ed69105a524ce161acabe409f82590.jpegThe drum did not fight very hard . Was  over in a few minutes.

15 minutes later I get another hit. A long battle  ensues. Ending with me alone landing this 8.5 foot lemon .31B160C8-17AD-4F27-B8CA-30F1594498A5.thumb.jpeg.20f930e7277b6d1716853ec1a088ee45.jpeg

Awesome fish. I wish we had the same fishery as Florida up here. 

Here one day gone the next for me ... poo poo water for a week was pretty much unfishable .. Thursday 2 ray , Friday 1 ... Saturday 8 browns hit the beach with many missed bites .. they were really playing games with the bait .. but we’re fired up ... tonight i thought for sure was going to be better but nope .. 2 medium browns and a  cownose ..  some good sized browns in the mix though which is always fun 

37B990EF-8B34-4970-967C-BE095B81E9E4.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Here one day gone the next for me ... poo poo water for a week was pretty much unfishable .. Thursday 2 ray , Friday 1 ... Saturday 8 browns hit the beach with many missed bites .. they were really playing games with the bait .. but we’re fired up ... tonight i thought for sure was going to be better but nope .. 2 medium browns and a  cownose ..  some good sized browns in the mix though which is always fun 

37B990EF-8B34-4970-967C-BE095B81E9E4.jpeg

what part of nj are you fishing? not trying to spotburn. just a general idea cause i havent been able to get on any sharks this summer yet :\ Are they on casted baits? Thanks for any help.