tpane35

shark fishing the nj surf

1,037 posts in this topic

As other suggest i catch dogfish.   When you sat mercy kill are u clubbing them? 

Also how far so you have to cast for the sharks?

I’ve never thought of clubbing a dogfish. Out comes the filet knife, slice slice. Then again I don’t freeze and save them (will this year). It’s not so much “how far you have to cast” as it is casting in the right location @ The right time. Sometimes a 20 yard lob into a nice hole is all you need. Sometimes I walk out to a bar and cast 75 yards with all my might....  

4 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

Can’t say that any are “just as good” for less expensive, but the Tsunami Airwave Elite makes a 3-8 that’s pretty nice, I have the 6-12oz that I’ll be throwing for sharks pretty soon.

Hooker,

Thx for the reply and I will check out the airwave.

4 hours ago, Jonathan457 said:

Probably the best value chunking rod out there is the 12ft tsunami trophy rated to 10ozs.  Can be had on eBay for $130ish. Rod is literally a telephone pole. Next runner up is the okuma longitude rated to 8ozs (can be had on eBay for $80 if your lucky and is underrated @ 4-8ozs). If you can get ahold of the old ocean masters they are GOLD but the new ones are trash, I broke two in a period of a few days.

Jonathan,

How hard is it to find the old ocean masters??

3 hours ago, Jonathan457 said:

I’ve never thought of clubbing a dogfish. Out comes the filet knife, slice slice. Then again I don’t freeze and save them (will this year). It’s not so much “how far you have to cast” as it is casting in the right location @ The right time. Sometimes a 20 yard lob into a nice hole is all you need. Sometimes I walk out to a bar and cast 75 yards with all my might....  

Clubbing keeps in the blood. I use my rubber mallet for sand spikes. I'm talking the foot long pups. Then you cut the tip of the tail off, and the fins and hook in the head. Minimal drag resistance in water, max blood left in the bait. Best and cheapest baits are the big breeder dogs. Only got another week or so to cash in on them

Airwave 11' is my fav spinning shark rod. Can toss a heavy bait and has nice spine in a fight

Next weekend I’m going doggy hunting in that case. I want a few of those big suckers - got my hands on a nice chest cooler. In regards to the guy who asked about the old ocean masters....unfortunately very difficult. You’ll see them pop on eBay every once in a while - your best bet would be to check there every so often or maybe do a super wide search on craigslist. Good luck, I have my eye out for one as well. Only thing better than those poles for big fish chunking is something custom. 

6 hours ago, Jonathan457 said:

Next weekend I’m going doggy hunting in that case. I want a few of those big suckers - got my hands on a nice chest cooler. In regards to the guy who asked about the old ocean masters....unfortunately very difficult. You’ll see them pop on eBay every once in a while - your best bet would be to check there every so often or maybe do a super wide search on craigslist. Good luck, I have my eye out for one as well. Only thing better than those poles for big fish chunking is something custom. 

ok thx, i will keep my an eye out for the ocean masters.  I would assume the Barrett rod would be considered custom??

How do u guys freeze dogfish for future trips ? Do you just chunk them and freeze them in bags with as minimal air as possible? Thanks for any help. 

Freeze solid, hacksaw into manageable chunks,  vac seal. Not an enjoyable process but the best bait in my opinion. 

Yeah they stink when your cutting them up. But I gave it an honest shot last week with nothing to show for it, I’ll try again tomorrow

Yeah they don't smell good at all, but that's why they work for shark. Kudos to trying them out. A bit early for them, bit some are trickling in. Soak dogfish in 2 weeks over the top of high tide and you should start seeing results

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Wampire said:

Yeah they don't smell good at all, but that's why they work for shark. Kudos to trying them out. A bit early for them, bit some are trickling in. Soak dogfish in 2 weeks over the top of high tide and you should start seeing results

How do you hook the Doggie chunks tho? Their skin is so tough that I can’t imagine the hook will pull through for a proper hookset 

Edited by HighEndHooker
Auto correct

Circle point in, push, circle hook out. Even just having a small half inch of that skin overlapping is enough to stay on the hook. I can often re use dogfish chunks several times if it slides up the wire