shark fishing the nj surf

Rate this topic

tpane35

Hey bud ive been fishing for these brown sharks from both the bay and surf for about 10 years, i do about 20 guides a year and have a ton of fun, caught hundreds of browns, sand tigers, bulls and huge rays. Depending on where you fish is depending on what you use for bait and rig. The top 2 baits by far are live eels, and tuna belly. Fresh bunker is decent and you will catch but not the best. King fish and croakers work too, ive caught hundreds on live weakfish back in the day but dont do that anymore.

this past summer i hooked over 40 brown and dusky sharks but only landed 2 because i was on a pier an they were breaking the net. 

the best baits were live bunker and herring when you could catch or snag them but live spot kingfish heads, almost any bait will work but some are better them others 

from the pier i like to have a 10/0 hook with wire and a balloon as a float. i used at least 5 ft of leader and put the bait 5 to 7 feet under the float. 

there were a ton of sharks this past summer we were hooking them on spoons and small pieces of spot on kingfish rigs for kingfish.

my fiend had a big  shark take his 2 oz sinker off a kingfish rig as he was reeling it 

sometimes i fished for them with a spinning rod on the bottom with a 4 ft wire leader but usually i float the bait out with a heavier conventional rod under the balloon 

I only fish on days that end in y

i have caught big beastly browns and sandtigers.  i use a 100lb mono leader tied to a snap swivel then crimped to a 120 wire leader and a 10/0 gamakatsu big river bait hook.. for bait i use bunker, herring, spot, hickory shad, kingfish, bluefish, perch, dogfish, basically anything that is bloody they will gobble up.  smile.gif  what reels, rods, and line you guys use.  i have a variety of shark rodswink.gif

12' tica with a daiwa sealine. 50 lb power pro, albright knot, 10 feet of 80 pound mono w/fish finder slide on it, barrel swivel, haywire twist, 2 feet of 250 lb single strand wire, haywire twist, BIG STRONG hook.

bait...whatever we could get fresh. bunker, shad, spot, bluefish, kingfish heads, etc.

sometimes you have other large, less toothy critters show up too...

butterfly ray? I used to see those all the time at night off the piers in MD. Never tried hooking one....they were all 6'+ across and I was severely undertackled. Guys got spooled on 40 Saltists LOL