• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TimGil

TimGil
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,114 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 2:59 PM

I ripped the carpet off the stairs in the house. Im painting the steps a dark brown and the risers white.

There is a 90 degree turn in the stairway and the subfloor of the landing there is OSB particle board.

Is painting this an option? If I put a good primer coat and then several coats of paint will it hide the particle board "pattern"?

• -

#2 Kicking Bass

Kicking Bass
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • LocationLong Eyeland

Posted December 17 2012 - 3:08 PM

Nope.... i hate that stuff...

absorbs paint like a sponge, real PIA

• -
There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind.

#3 J Adams

J Adams
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 10:43 PM

You could cover it by putting down some 1/8 " luan plywood over it. It's pretty cheap, just get some pl construction adhesive,and a few nails to secure it down. That way your stair heights wont change much. No matter how much paint you put on the OSB,Those weird patterns will still show.

• -

#4 ruchski

ruchski

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 12:00 AM

The luan idea mentioned above would be a good quick fix- add some quarter round and a small nose cap to cover seams and nobody will notice.  Maybe you could use laminate flooring for this area- wide range of brown colors.   It may give the "landing" area some extra character.  Otherwise, cut out the OSB and get a piece of  sanded BX to put down and the paint should look the same on all.   Of course this will probably require extra work like removing baseboards to install nicely.  

• -

#5 J Adams

J Adams
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruchski View Post

The luan idea mentioned above would be a good quick fix- add some quarter round and a small nose cap to cover seams and nobody will notice.  Maybe you could use laminate flooring for this area- wide range of brown colors.   It may give the "landing" area some extra character.  Otherwise, cut out the OSB and get a piece of  sanded BX to put down and the paint should look the same on all.   Of course this will probably require extra work like removing baseboards to install nicely.  

• -

#6 gadwall8

gadwall8
  • Way too many!

• 18,528 posts
  • LocationUneverheardofitstan

Posted December 22 2012 - 10:15 AM

Bondo and paint> won't make it what it ain't, but, it isn't now :)

Rip it out, do it right, cry once.

:v:

• -
"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."

#7 jrhjr

jrhjr
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,121 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 3:31 PM

sand it...shellac it...sand it...paint it...
should hold up fine

• -
powerless