Maruthu

Fishing the rocks

33 posts in this topic

I'm heading to Gokarna, Karnata tonight for some fishing.

Heard it offers some excellent fishing for Barramundi, but not sure about GTs.

One other thing is that it is a pretty cool place to visit too.

Will be back Tuesday and will post a report with pics. Hope I catch some fish and my dying camera holds up too....

Here is a couple of links I found about that place:

http://mithunonthe.net/2010/03/07/gokarna-2010-day-1-trekking-from-kudle-om-half-moon-paradise-beach/

http://mithunonthe.net/2010/03/14/gokarna-2010-day-2-gokarna-town-kudle-beach-and-sunset-cafe/

http://mithunonthe.net/2010/03/18/gokarna-2010-where-to-stay-hotels-shacks-kudle-om-beach/

Cheers, Maruthu

I'm heading to Gokarna, Karnata tonight for some fishing.

Heard it offers some excellent fishing for Barramundi, but not sure about GTs.

One other thing is that it is a pretty cool place to visit too.

Will be back Tuesday and will post a report with pics. Hope I catch some fish and my dying camera holds up too....

Here is a couple of links I found about that place:

http://mithunonthe.net/2010/03/07/gokarna-2010-day-1-trekking-from-kudle-om-half-moon-paradise-beach/

http://mithunonthe.net/2010/03/14/gokarna-2010-day-2-gokarna-town-kudle-beach-and-sunset-cafe/

http://mithunonthe.net/2010/03/18/gokarna-2010-where-to-stay-hotels-shacks-kudle-om-beach/

Cheers, Maruthu

Couldn't fish as much as I wanted to in Gokarna as the rocks there appeared to be too dangerous to be alone at night. I had to trek through the woods to get to fishing spots and that seemed a bot scary too. Saw some monkeys and peacock. Next time I'll take a friend with me, so that I can fish at night and also trek through the woods in India without much fear. I still managed a Mangrove Jack about 5 pounds on a swimming plug that was released. Had a few strikes on a 1 oz white bucktail jig, but was not hooking up.

I am going to Cape Comorin aka Kanyakumari by the end of the month.

Here is a small video of a GT blitz at the spot I'm planning on fishing in the Cape.

Cheers, Maruthu

On 01/01/2013 at 5:26 PM, Maruthu said:

Couldn't fish as much as I wanted to in Gokarna as the rocks there appeared to be too dangerous to be alone at night. I had to trek through the woods to get to fishing spots and that seemed a bot scary too. Saw some monkeys and peacock. Next time I'll take a friend with me, so that I can fish at night and also trek through the woods in India without much fear. I still managed a Mangrove Jack about 5 pounds on a swimming plug that was released. Had a few strikes on a 1 oz white bucktail jig, but was not hooking up.

I am going to Cape Comorin aka Kanyakumari by the end of the month.

Here is a small video of a GT blitz at the spot I'm planning on fishing in the Cape.

Cheers, Maruthu

Nice video. Sea's seem a little too rough for a good days fishing. 

However said, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at anything else ;-)

Any tips on what end tackle is best. I'll be heading to Gokarna for a couple of days. 

Planning to carry a 13 foot rod with the shimano 1200D. I've got 40 pound mono on it. Not sure what end tackle to carry though. 

Cheers,

Lionel

On 11/14/2017 at 0:23 AM, Lenoil said:

Nice video. Sea's seem a little too rough for a good days fishing. 

However said, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at anything else ;-)

Any tips on what end tackle is best. I'll be heading to Gokarna for a couple of days. 

Planning to carry a 13 foot rod with the shimano 1200D. I've got 40 pound mono on it. Not sure what end tackle to carry though. 

Cheers,

Lionel

Lionel,

Here is a report from my recent trip for your reference.

You can see the video to see what it is like to fish there.

If you carry anything over 9', then it might not be convinient.

Maruthu

So my visit to Gokarna turned out to be more relaxing by a shack than actually fishing. Was quite deterred when i got there and saw huge nets being dragged in all along Kudle beach. All they caught were tiny fish ranging from yellow tail mackeral to small catfish and a crab. 

I did go up to the rocks and spent about a couple of hours there, off no avail though. I was fishing with lures about 5 inches in length, Tried everything from divers, to floaters and spinners too. No luck what so ever. 

Was a nice experience though and the weather was truly amazing. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Lenoil said:

So my visit to Gokarna turned out to be more relaxing by a shack than actually fishing. Was quite deterred when i got there and saw huge nets being dragged in all along Kudle beach. All they caught were tiny fish ranging from yellow tail mackeral to small catfish and a crab. 

I did go up to the rocks and spent about a couple of hours there, off no avail though. I was fishing with lures about 5 inches in length, Tried everything from divers, to floaters and spinners too. No luck what so ever. 

Was a nice experience though and the weather was truly amazing. 

You're not going to find the kind of fish we will be targeting in the nets. So, no need to sweat on that. The fish in those nets only gives an idea of what bait is around.

If you live in Bangalore, you are very welcome to join me on my next fishing trip. If you are just visiting, let me know a little in advance the next time.

Edited by Maruthu
Spelling

I do live in bangalore. I do a lot of fishing at the cauvery wasi cottage. The mahseer are finally growing to a decent size. Off to goa this week. Would be great to plan a trip together though. Right now im really looking for contacts to do a deep sea trip from Hikkaduwa. Any help would be much appreciated. Im headed there on the 29th of the month. 

6 mins ago, Lenoil said:

Any idea how many posts one requires before they can private message?

7 days 15post i believe.

On 11/19/2017 at 10:17 AM, Lenoil said:

I do live in bangalore. I do a lot of fishing at the cauvery wasi cottage. The mahseer are finally growing to a decent size. Off to goa this week. Would be great to plan a trip together though. Right now im really looking for contacts to do a deep sea trip from Hikkaduwa. Any help would be much appreciated. Im headed there on the 29th of the month. 

I do not fish from a boat, but I "think" that the guys that take people out on a boat are typically easy to contact.

Never been to Wasi, but would love to fish it at some point. May be sometime next year.

I'll not be fishing till the last long weekend of this year (30th Dec, 31st Dec and 1st Jan). But we can plan something then.

2 hours ago, Lenoil said:

Any idea how many posts one requires before they can private message?

I'm not sure on that one, but I think it was set at 15 posts from what I remember....