Maruthu

Fishing the rocks

33 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I was gearing up for some GT fishing from the rocks and don't think it is anywhere near easy :(

I was speechless after seeing this video, looking at the way this man was running around the rock edges :scared:

Cheers, Maruthu

PS:

I have caught some GTs from the beach before, but have never landed one from the rocks.

Cape Comorin is one of those places which is close to where I live, where GTs fishing from the shore is great .

I am planning to get there sometime during early 2013.

Last time I was there I caught a 13# barramundi and my firend caught a 26# GT (and it was off season then).

My friend uses a 11' fiberglass rod and a Penn 8500 reel filled with 40# mono main line.

I am planning to fish with my Lami XS10MHC paired with an Abu 7000 (65# PP braid) or with my Penn jigmaster (30# mono)

Not sure if that is anywhere near good for such fishing but will give it a shot.

That was awesome!!! Definitely something I hope to do one day... I felt tired just watching that guy. A lot of drag on that Stella.

Best of luck, Maruthu, I hope you get into some fish like in that vid... AWESOME!!!

I don't care if you're a stella or van staal fan, this is why you fork out the dough for the good stuff, regardless which way you go on that:-)

Greetings,

I was speechless after seeing this video, looking at the way the man was running around the rock edges :scared:

HAHAHAHA this man has got balls of steel to be running around like that! Approx 7 mins in

I assume his footwear had more than sufficient grip on those rocks to be doing that.

That was awesome!!! Definitely something I hope to do one day... I felt tired just watching that guy. A lot of drag on that Stella.

Best of luck, Maruthu, I hope you get into some fish like in that vid... AWESOME!!!

Thanks TJones. Hope I land some GTs like that :)

I don't care if you're a stella or van staal fan, this is why you fork out the dough for the good stuff, regardless which way you go on that:-)

I do have a VS150 paired with a 9' legend (3/4 to 4) which I fished last fall in IBSP and was put to real use as I was fishing from the sand bar amongst a million other folks during the sandeel bite :D I do love this setup, even though I will not fish the rocks with it, at least in India. For the most part in India, I don't think that I will ever wade and also I prefer conventional setup unless spinning setup is a must. Looking at that video, a good spinning setup might be the way to go like you said, but if I ever got the chance to ship some rods from the US, I might try an 8' fiberglass one piece rod (may be a Calstar rod?!!!!) paired with Penn conventional reels/with heavy mono before considering to switch to spinning gear :)

Cheers, Maruthu

great video, that dude is crazy! this way for dangerous than fishing from rocks, those reefs have sections of razor sharp edges, that is the last place you would want to fall :scared: . what kind of rod would you need to fish a place like that?? boat or surf??

I've seen this video on Hawaii's GT/Ulua fishing forum, nonetheless, an awesome video indeed. Walking along the lava rocks/reef is hard enough without breaking your ankle, falling down, or getting knocked off by a wave. Props to him for making it look easy! I myself haven't caught a GT this size, but I look forward to the day! Caught plenty of babies though in the 1-5lb range :)

Great video and thanks for posting.  There are some awesome places to fish around this great big world!  I think this is the closest I will ever come to getting there, so I will have to settle for NJ and Montauk, which is perfect for me. smile.gif