Scary/Ghost Stories from the Surf

Rate this topic

scary ? So what did you do. Were you alone.

I was with my then girlfriend and we just looked at each other confused and spooked. The crazy thing was that the beach was crowded, must have been a Friday night, no one else saw her. Even the couple we had just talked to in the parking lot didn't see her

I was with my then girlfriend and we just looked at each other confused and spooked. The crazy thing was that the beach was crowded, must have been a Friday night, no one else saw her. Even the couple we had just talked to in the parking lot didn't see her

You should of casted at her to check if she was real  :D

Maybe it was just your mind?  but your girlfriend saw it also?  At night I have had my hair stand straight up, like someone was there. I always say come on out and let me see you. lets talk.   But no one ever comes out so far.

• 3 years later...

There's a spot on the NS I like to fish in the spring, when the first cows run through and the crab bite is on. It's way out in the middle of nowhere, and I'm alone at night nearly 100% of the time. 

Well one night when I first started fishing there, I was already sleep deprived from the night before, and practically hallucinating right off the bat. Noticed a couple of guys fishing the marsh off to my left. Dammit, I exclaimed. Thought I was going to be alone out here. 

An hour later they hadn't moved.

"Jesus, wonder how they're doin over there."

Then false dawn came on and I saw my new friends *truly* appear from deep in the morning mist.

They were dolphins

dolphin-structure-at-the-hallig-langene-X56WBP.jpg.1e20d1bc9077c5caf490140927f43c87.jpg

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Not sure if I posted in this thread but a friend and I were fishing Long Island in Boston Harbor one night, pitch black, no moon, away from any street lights, dead sticking macs and throwing plugs.  He was about 50 yards down the beach and yells to me  "Hey, I think I heard something, can you shine your light down here." So I did, he was surrounded by 4 skunks, I almost pissed my pants laughing as I could see his knees begin to shake from 50 yards away. :laugh:

"ALL THE BEST!"

30 mins ago, Luckyshot said:

If ever encountered, know that you are more powerful than a spirit/ghost/residual imprint.  Stand in your Power!  With a little bit of training, possibly help it along to the Light.  Just saying...

Sounds like you're speaking from experience.

The Sultan of Sluggo

• 3 months later...

"It was a dark, stormy night....."

A lot of great stories here! I have (quite) a few as well , like the time rigged eel fishing West Long Beach/Atlantic Beach jetties and walking off one at 2 am I step right on this guys azz that is already "too deep". The cleats in my boots sure did not help him much...

I can't think of any that is really "life changing" except one I remember vividly: My friend XXXX, who was in the police academy at the time, and I were walking off a jetty after a morning of chunking. I believe it was June as the sun was pretty high up for 830am. I saw a bit of movement in the sky and I try to focus on it, I turn and see that XXXX sees it too. It's an oval, silver metal object of undetermined size (could not tell how high it was, it was extremely clear/no clouds). If I had to guess I would have to say it was about a 1/2 mile away and about the size of a football field. 

Within one second of seeing it, the thing just "disappears", no sound at all. I say to XXXX "what was that" and he says "we didn't see nothing"! I'm like "you know we both saw that" and he says "look, if the academy hears that I say I saw something like that I will never be a cop. This can ruin my life." 

We never spoke of it again and I still can't say his name...(he would likely deny this ever happened)

Years ago, fishing Deer Island Rip at night in the boat  ,  We would go to the Rip and stay all night.  Some nights the Fog would roll in and you couldn’t see a foot   In front of you. You would anchor and let your plug drift into the rip. So foggy you would do it by feal.   At that time the old buildings were still there and it was loaded with Bats.  The bats would come out in the fog and fly over head
you could hear them, beep  my friend hated them.  He would go in the cabin and get a towel and rap it around his head.  The old wife’s tail ( they will tie your hair in knots,)  you could hear them flying around in the fog . Beep beep  and they would sense you in the fog and fly right down on you And turn away the last second   . Well this  one Bat , flew right done on his face. That did it, he went in the cabin for the rest of the night.   He said That’s It. 
I don’t think we fished the rip for the rest of the year. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/29/2012 at 10:18 AM, onelife_onechance_ said:

Over the past few months, I have had a lot of time to sit and think about fishing and have talked to a lot of people about fishing. One thing that has come up from time to time from people all over the coast that I talk to, is some of the paranormal things people have seen while out in the surf. From Maine to Jersey there are spots that people fish that have reputations of being haunted.

Well I have one such story

Back in the colonial days there were people called "wreckers" They would stand on beaches with lanterns and trick ships into running aground on the beaches then loot the ship and kill anyone who survived on the beach then drag their bodies back to the water to make it look like they just died in the wreck.

Well one night on East Beach in RI I was fishing with my father and as we got down to the beach we saw some odd drag marks with our lights in the sand. Knowing the legend we kinda gave them a double look and then looked at each other and instantly knew what each other was thinking. Well after about a half hour of casting we made our way back to the truck and as we hit the parking lot our German Shepard started to act really weird, then as we loaded up the truck with our gear we saw a light coming out of the dunes, As we got a good look at it, it was an old 17th/18th century lantern, then we saw two more and four people walked out wearing colonial clothes and at that point we just threw everything in the truck and picked up our now growling dog and put him in the truck and blasted out of there. As we pulled out our lights went right over the people and we got a real good look at them and they were dirty and in ratty colonial style clothes. It really freaked us out.

I have seen other weird things out on the water but this one is something that really stuck with me.

Happened to me tonight off the outer cape, did not see any apparitions, but the latern and the smell of burning oil as well as footprints much smaller than mine, I have never ran that fast in my life. Interesting I’m between 2 lighthouses in an area famous for shipwrecks. Not a soul around except for guy heading out when I was heading in, he must think I’m a nut