Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onelife_onechance_

Scary/Ghost Stories from the Surf

109 posts in this topic

Over the past few months, I have had a lot of time to sit and think about fishing and have talked to a lot of people about fishing. One thing that has come up from time to time from people all over the coast that I talk to, is some of the paranormal things people have seen while out in the surf. From Maine to Jersey there are spots that people fish that have reputations of being haunted.

Well I have one such story

Back in the colonial days there were people called "wreckers" They would stand on beaches with lanterns and trick ships into running aground on the beaches then loot the ship and kill anyone who survived on the beach then drag their bodies back to the water to make it look like they just died in the wreck.

Well one night on East Beach in RI I was fishing with my father and as we got down to the beach we saw some odd drag marks with our lights in the sand. Knowing the legend we kinda gave them a double look and then looked at each other and instantly knew what each other was thinking. Well after about a half hour of casting we made our way back to the truck and as we hit the parking lot our German Shepard started to act really weird, then as we loaded up the truck with our gear we saw a light coming out of the dunes, As we got a good look at it, it was an old 17th/18th century lantern, then we saw two more and four people walked out wearing colonial clothes and at that point we just threw everything in the truck and picked up our now growling dog and put him in the truck and blasted out of there. As we pulled out our lights went right over the people and we got a real good look at them and they were dirty and in ratty colonial style clothes. It really freaked us out.

I have seen other weird things out on the water but this one is something that really stuck with me.

Over the past few months, I have had a lot of time to sit and think about fishing and have talked to a lot of people about fishing. One thing that has come up from time to time from people all over the coast that I talk to, is some of the paranormal things people have seen while out in the surf. From Maine to Jersey there are spots that people fish that have reputations of being haunted.

Well I have one such story

Back in the colonial days there were people called "wreckers" They would stand on beaches with lanterns and trick ships into running aground on the beaches then loot the ship and kill anyone who survived on the beach then drag their bodies back to the water to make it look like they just died in the wreck.

Well one night on East Beach in RI I was fishing with my father and as we got down to the beach we saw some odd drag marks with our lights in the sand. Knowing the legend we kinda gave them a double look and then looked at each other and instantly knew what each other was thinking. Well after about a half hour of casting we made our way back to the truck and as we hit the parking lot our German Shepard started to act really weird, then as we loaded up the truck with our gear we saw a light coming out of the dunes, As we got a good look at it, it was an old 17th/18th century lantern, then we saw two more and four people walked out wearing colonial clothes and at that point we just threw everything in the truck and picked up our now growling dog and put him in the truck and blasted out of there. As we pulled out our lights went right over the people and we got a real good look at them and they were dirty and in ratty colonial style clothes. It really freaked us out.

I have seen other weird things out on the water but this one is something that really stuck with me.

You should read the Shipping News, it speaks of those incidents, not sure if it mentions the term "wreckers", can't remember.

Great story nonetheless.

I can genuinely state that I personally have yet to see a "paranormal" event that can't be explained away as a memory lapse, trick of the light, people running around in weird clothes (there's no shortage of crazies out there), etc. I'm still waiting for that unexplainable visitation, other than the Canal cowboy. ;)

-bd

Early settlers trying to get u ha! Smoke another one dude..

The fact is many of these "wreckers" when caught were sentenced to horrible deaths. And I am not the first person to see these things there have been many before me.

Plus I don't do that stuff, well not until I get my state issued card :naughty:

I can genuinely state that I personally have yet to see a "paranormal" event that can't be explained away as a memory lapse, trick of the light, people running around in weird clothes (there's no shortage of crazies out there), etc. I'm still waiting for that unexplainable visitation, other than the Canal cowboy. ;)

-bd

You know if it hadn't of been for my father seeing the exact same thing and being there with me, I may have dismissed this as well, but when someone else see's the exact same thing and my dog going nuts at them.

The thing is I have seen some very weird happenings. Like the time when I was about 6-7 yo fishing Beavertail in RI when we were walking on a cliffside path and I had the ground break loose from under me and I just hanging in mid air not falling then what seemed like a lifetime later my Dad turned around and grabbed me pulling me back.

-bd

bob_G ever share his hunting experience, in what was likely an old Indian burial ground, with you?

I used to doubt it too, until I had my own paranormal experience 3 years ago on the Canal.

The fact is many of these "wreckers" when caught were sentenced to horrible deaths. And I am not the first person to see these things there have been many before me.

Plus I don't do that stuff, well not until I get my state issued card :naughty:

Not that I don't believe u because dogs know when there's supernaturals present. i guess I'm not doing anymore Rhody trips at night alone I sure as hell don't want to meet any ghosts. I have a friend of mine who happens to be an American Indian who I fish the canal with him many nights and he swears that he saw something that scared him so bad he fell in off the rocks up to his waist bobbing around the edge someone else who was fishing with him that night pulled him out of the drink and he says he will never fish the canal at night ever again so whatever it was almost killed him i guess..

You should read the Shipping News, it speaks of those incidents, not sure if it mentions the term "wreckers", can't remember.

Great story nonetheless.

The term is Mooncussers...

The term is Mooncussers...

That's it,

I just never want to see them again.

We actually didn't fish that spot at night for almost 5 years, and the next time we actually did go at night we saw the same drag marks and didn't even bother to get our gear out and left right away.

Not that I don't believe u because dogs know when there's supernaturals present. i guess I'm not doing anymore Rhody trips at night alone I sure as hell don't want to meet any ghosts. I have a friend of mine who happens to be an American Indian who I fish the canal with him many nights and he swears that he saw something that scared him so bad he fell in off the rocks up to his waist bobbing around the edge someone else who was fishing with him that night pulled him out of the drink and he says he will never fish the canal at night ever again so whatever it was almost killed him i guess..

I know man, it is a hard one to believe.

That's it,

I just never want to see them again.

We actually didn't fish that spot at night for almost 5 years, and the next time we actually did go at night we saw the same drag marks and didn't even bother to get our gear out and left right away.

I'm still curious was this in the summer time or fall?

mooncusser

mooncusser (plural mooncussers)

1.(rare, humorous) A land-based pirate who, on dark nights along dangerous coasts, would demolish any legitimate lighthouses or beacons, erect a decoy signal fire in a different, deliberately misleading location, and then, after having induced a shipwreck, subdue any survivors and plunder the wreckage for valuables.

Based on the fact that the strategy would not work on a moonlit night, such that the would-be pirate cussed the moon.

[edit] Synonyms

wrecker