Pencil Poppers?

Rate this topic

Evil-Bay

Hey all, I never used a pencil popper, so since my fishing season is done for this year, its time for me to do some research on some new plugs....how do you use these sexy looking things??   One pencil popper i am looking at is the TA Sea Pencil popper.  Love the way it looks as far as the way its painted and shaped.  Looks like its bottom heavy so i should be able to fire these thing with ease.

Let me know guys!

My favorite plug! Nothing like watching a cow come up and crush a pencil. Most people hold the rod between their knees and whip the rod tip back and forth while slowly reeling in. It should dance from side to side pivoting on the arse end of the plug. It's actually realy easy to use. You can also fish it like a spook but move the tip a little more violently.

They are fun to fish in the morning, they break up the boredom of casting needles and sluggos all night. One thing, don't stop banging it when you get a hit, Keep the retrieve constant. You need to keep pissing off the fish, and not give him a chance to actually inspect what he is hitting.

"It's the weekend, I don't know you, you don't exist to me." The Hangover

I dunno if anyone else here shares my opinion but I learned to use a pencil by first learning on a spook.  I watched my buddy work a pencil and I wanted in on the action and he threw me one of his heddon spooks to practice cuz spooks are easy to "walk".  That motion will become second nature to you once you finally find that rhythm of how fast to reel and pop, but at first it is really frustrating. 

Just a couple little tips, most rods only require a light tug.... resting the rod shaft on your finger tips and basically performing a one handed clap is all it takes, while rhythmically reeling

1/2 - 3/4 of a turn, tho its a little different for everyone, depending on your rod, reel,line(mono or braid).  Hope this helps a little.  I found that many of the online techniques give pretty similar instructions but one thing you will learn is that there is some kind of adjustment that you will have to make, to get a fluent motion from beginning to end.  It is hard to put into words but at first your gonna feel like a robot trying to find the timing and you'll lose the rhythm every few feet during the retrieve but after a week or so you'll have it down to a science.

There are quite a few spook brands out there, but the Heddon Zara spooks are pretty easy to find, and they have a model called the XT spook with a 2 hook rig and oversized split rings and hooks which are made for saltwater.  On top of being easy to learn to use they are only like $7-8 a piece.  Although I have some wood spooks I still use the plastic Heddon and yo-zuri.  As far as the Pencil Popper itself is concerned, I like the Guppy ones when I go small (2 oz) and Gibbs canal special (3 1/8oz) or Afterhours Jr Blip (2 3/4 Oz).  These are just suggestions tho and the reason I like those are I like the sizes and they all have a flat tapered bottom that can be worked in faster water.  Just what I like tho.  Alot of Pencil's are cigar shaped with round belly's and work just as good.  Good luck Evil, you are about to embark on a very fun part of plugging.  Nothing like watching a big ole bass or blue punish a dancing lure!!