DEC Estimates Cost To Close Cupsogue Breach At $6 Million; Work To Begin Within Days

Rate this topic

TBD

New York State officials on Friday said that dredging would begin within the next few days as part of a $6 million effort to repair a breach in the barrier island.

State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joe Martens, at a press conference at Cupsogue County Park on Friday attended by a host of state and local lawmakers, said federal funds would cover 65 percent of the cost of the project, with most of the remaining amount covered by the state and a smaller portion by Suffolk County. The project was expedited by the DEC’s Breach Contingency Plan, developed in the early 1990s after a breach destroyed more than 100 homes in what is now West Hampton Dunes Village.

Under the plan, the state signed a contract with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which hired the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company, based in Illinois, to dredge sand from Moriches Inlet and deposit into the breach at Cupsogue County Park, one of three breaches caused by Superstorm Sandy. The breach in the park lies east of the eastern jetty of Moriches Inlet, another occurred at Smith Point County Park west of the Moriches Inlet western jetty and a third was discovered in the Fire Island National Seashore.

“I’m stunned to see that dredge here no less than 12 days after we noticed [the breach],” West Hampton Dunes Mayor Gary Vegliante said on Friday. “It’s just an incredible feat.”

Mr. Martens estimated that 200,000 cubic yards of sand from Moriches Bay will be needed to close the 1,000-foot-wide breach and raise the area by about 10 feet. Water in the center of the breach is currently about 4 feet deep at high tide.

“It worked exactly how it was designed to work,” U.S. Army Corps New York District Commander Paul Owen said of the Breach Contingency Plan.

If left alone, water coming through the breach would raise the bay levels, making the bordering communities more prone to flooding. It could also compromise the structural integrity of the nearby jetty and have a number of effects on the bay’s plant and animal life.

“This protects what lies behind here,” Southampton Town Supervisor Anna Throne-Holst said of the barrier island. “And if this goes, what lies behind this will go, as well.”

Mr. Martens said it would be about two weeks before the project was complete and the breach closed, although he said the DEC and the Army Corps of Engineers have begun discussions on how to restore the barrier island to its pre-storm state. The added sand will close the breach, but it will not protect it from another Sandy-strength storm. “It’s an initial step, but it’s a big step,” he said.

TBD

CC

Im sure once its complete plant life will give more strength to the area. To drop 6 million into something that could happen again, they should try something that could protect the land more.. im no engineer so i cant elaborate how that could be done..

Although it's a good idea to contract local businesses, in emergency situations I am glad they are getting out of state contractors involved too, to reduce the completion times. I hope this is the case for th emany other rebuilding tasks for the south shore. (instead of giving them only to the local "preferred" guys).

Slot Limit for Striped Bass; 1 fish 26"-34"

Save the Porgy; Bring Back 10 fish daily limit

Mr. Martens estimated that 200,000 cubic yards of sand from Moriches Bay will be needed to close the 1,000-foot-wide breach and raise the area by about 10 feet. Water in the center of the breach is currently about 4 feet deep at high tide..

Nice to see Moriches Inlet being dredged. Of course, since the sand is being placed east of the inlet, after another good blow or two, it will be back in the inlet again.

This is called "Shoveling s[and] against the tide." But hey, the taxpayers have nothing better to do with their money,,,

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I don't know if this has Ben posted before but it's News 12 video of the breeches starting at Old Inlet and going to Cupsogue and then some of Shinny.http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=341450&position=1&news_type=news

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

Nice to see Moriches Inlet being dredged. Of course, since the sand is being placed east of the inlet, after another good blow or two, it will be back in the inlet again.

This is called "Shoveling s[and] against the tide." But hey, the taxpayers have nothing better to do with their money,,,

Many Inlets use a sand by pass. We were pushing for one years ago . I think it was either shinnecock or morichies but it never went anywhere.

The state had money allocated to dredge F.I. , Morichies, and Shinnecock this was done after the Coaltion annual trip to Albany on was on our list of things to get done.. Shame it is being used so close to Inlet and will end up back there , but that is one place it is needed now.

Ocean Pkway may help with our push to get the Federal goverment to put up there share for F.I.

Willie

Army Corpse of Engineers projects don't have anything to do with Albany. Tank God the bypass at Shinnecock never happenned. Ever try to fish by one of those things? They're LOAD, case all sorts of riled up water and the potential for a fuel spill is large. Imagine what would have happenned if there was a pump house there when Sandy hit? ******* disaster.

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

Then why is N.Y.S. D.E.C. involved ? Dredging of such inlets usually happens with about 82 % Federal, State 15% , and county 3% money.

What is LOAD ?

What is being said is anything with fuel should be banned from being close to the water. Such as commericial fishing boats and home heating oil.

One should not waste their time here , but should send a letter to N.Y.S. D.E.C. to get this done.

Willie