Shore fishing in San diego in December?

Rate this topic

Fish Guru

I'll be in San Diego off and on throughout December and am looking for any info on shorefishing in the general San Diego area for that period. I'll be working during the day so it will most likely be night fishing as well. I've been reading up on the spotted bay bass and it looks like those will be my best bet, wondering if anyone has any info on places that I can target them at night. Also wondering if there's anything bigger that I would have a chance to get from shore?

I had luck using 3" berkeley gulp grubs off the shores of Mission Bay. They have a very interesting fishery. Spotted bay Bass, Sand Bass, Halibut, Calico Bass and Corvina are just a few. Believe it or not, some anglers have actually hooked stripers down there while targeting perch and halibut off the surf. That's one city i wouldn't mind moving to

HLMA143

I had luck using 3" berkeley gulp grubs off the shores of Mission Bay. They have a very interesting fishery. Spotted bay Bass, Sand Bass, Halibut, Calico Bass and Corvina are just a few. Believe it or not, some anglers have actually hooked stripers down there while targeting perch and halibut off the surf. That's one city i wouldn't mind moving to

did you fish at night at all? Just wondering if its even gonn a be worth the effort, although I'm sure I'll try anyway.

Anyone else have any info, having trouble finding much on the web?

Winter bass fishing can be great at night down here. I actually prefer the colder months as you can find bigger sand bass migrating into the bay. Smaller 3" plastics in black widow color are killer. Popular rigs are jigheads, t-rig, and dropshot using 3/8oz weight. Both SD and Mission Bay are lined with eel grass and the bass love to hide and hang out in those areas. Also if you can, try to fish around docks and other structure. Most have no fishing signs nearby so try not to stay in one spot too long haha. A slow retrieve on the bottom, basically a slow drag, leads to most bites at night in my experience. Using scent definitely helps. One key factor is to keep moving. If the fish aren't in one area walk down 40yards and try again. Sometimes I notice certain areas can be deserts at times and just a few yards down is the party. A headlamp and good shoes for rock hopping are essential.

Winter bass fishing can be great at night down here. I actually prefer the colder months as you can find bigger sand bass migrating into the bay. Smaller 3" plastics in black widow color are killer. Popular rigs are jigheads, t-rig, and dropshot using 3/8oz weight. Both SD and Mission Bay are lined with eel grass and the bass love to hide and hang out in those areas. Also if you can, try to fish around docks and other structure. Most have no fishing signs nearby so try not to stay in one spot too long haha. A slow retrieve on the bottom, basically a slow drag, leads to most bites at night in my experience. Using scent definitely helps. One key factor is to keep moving. If the fish aren't in one area walk down 40yards and try again. Sometimes I notice certain areas can be deserts at times and just a few yards down is the party. A headlamp and good shoes for rock hopping are essential.

Wow, that's sounding like fun. Thanks for the info, much appreciated and will definitely be put to good use.