Hobie Power Skiff

Rate this topic

doyle007

Thanks on the heads up for the controls. I will have to get me one. Gotta keep these boats up!

I have a home in Cannon Beach, Oregon. I am only there maybe a month out of the year. The rest of the time I am San Carlos Mexico from Oct. to May, I fish two months in the winter and two months in the summer in the Bering Sea.

I bought the boat from a fly fisherman in Moses Lake, Wash. I never registered it, as I hauled it to our home in Mexico. I would love to have it back in Oregon as I am a surfer, but I prefer it down here in the warm stuff. I will dig up more photos here soon. Thanks for the check!

I have been dong some "cleaning up" that the boat has needed for a while. The wiring under console was a mess, as well as the two areas where the wires and steering cable go into and out the hull. You can see in both shots where i have removed the horribly rusted ring, and the rubber wrap material is shot. In this shot you can also see the tennis ball idea I got from this forum. They look to the perfect size. I love it! Also you can see a cable going thought the scupper hole. It is a lock set up, it goes through the outboard and around a big cement light pole. It is right in front of our house here in Mexico.

These two places are the only rusted metal I have found on the boat. I suspect it was an off the shelf item. Any know? Any new ideas on how to improve it? Under the console here. I read here of someone who used 4" PVC to make an extension up from the deck, I like that idea!

I show this as I am looking for a good solution to removing rust. You can see the rusty holes on the side of the console. The PO used plated steel screws and nuts to attach some small rod holders. I got weary of the rust streaks, so used a dremel tool but off the nuts. what a mess. Any good common solution for rust staining?

And this last shot is just for fun. That is 1978 Honda CT Trail 90. I have a few of them. They are the ultimate way to get around here. In fact, in this place, you see, VW buggies (all types) Honda trail bikes, Old trimaran sailboats, on and on. It is like everything from the last 30 years in California came down here and stayed. No worries! In this shot it is carrying an anchor for my sailboat. But they are definitely two of my favorite fun ways to get around!

First couple shots are the day I got it. Moses Lake Washington, I probably drove 300 miles one way to get it. I was ready to drive anywhere to get the right boat....I am sitting in the boat eating at Burger King, I wanted to sit in the boat and not go inside.. That was when my wife started to see how crazy into this boat I was......:-)

This is how we got it south. (that is wife and youngest daughter) Yep, it was a crazy combination but it worked really well. We offloaded in LA at my sons, traded our car for his Xterra, hitched up the boat, and kept going...:-)

This is where we are headed. Sna Carlos Sonora Mexico. 6 hours south of Tucson. Desert climate, Seaof Cortez salt water.

Here we are out messing around' I think this was December, or November.

Here is a shot of my son on a vacation visit, he had just tug boated our sailboat in. I do this a lot. next shhot is a 48 for superlight and fast Cat I tugged in. You can see the skiff in the forground. I had just released him, and tied up and took the shot. He is gettting hauled out here.

That's it for now. Tow last shots of the skiff and our 1979 (why do I like stuff from those years) 34' Searunner Trimaran. This was taken from our deck.....:-)

Thanks for heads up on the cleaners chief.

I was working on my stern today (securing the speedo, sounder, temp transducer) and noticed the serial number. The last two digits ar "88" I know for a fact the Hobie cat sail boats all had the year of their construction in the last two digits of the serial number. So I would guess I am a 1988 boat.

I am pretty much done with the wiring and all. I want to get in the water a do some speed runs with a GPS and see how I compare to the fleet here. I have a horizontal fin, but I have never tried it without. I may do that also. I am looking fwd. to it!

View PostCan anyone send me to a good site that will have a boat cover that works for these boats? I am getting the hull buffed and waxed tomorrow, and I need something better that those terrible blue tarps.

the last boat cover i purchased was off of Ebay, you can also go to west marine or jamestown distributors or othe marine suppliers, and check out their boat covers. looks like taylor made boat covers makes one (search under "blazer bay boat, 1500")

you can also find covers online under 15'-16' v hull center console no rails, outboard

looks like west marine will ship world wide.

alec

View PostI remember the power skiffs at the boat show when they came out and have always kept an eye out for one.I still have all the brochures from the boat show in a box somewhere..

Those Brochures would sure be a valuable item for some of the Hobie Power Skiff owners on the site. If you would have interest in digging them out, I would be happy to purchase them if you wish to sell. I would then scan the pages and post them for HPS owners on the FaceBook site.

Please let me know if that is something you would consider....

PNW Skiff, thank you , that helped a lot to use the Blazer boat as the model. Looks like West Marine may be the ticket. Very cool Thanks!

Got a great hand wash, restore, and wax job done. Took two young guys 7 hours. (they do this for a living) I was happy with the work and the detail they used. She is shiny and slick now! Amazing to see them do it all by hand! (Cost $40 plus a tip)

Thankshighfive.gif

Mexico is funny, labor is cheap, food is cheap, new parts are bad. Anything you buy, fuel hose, fuel tank etc. is really high. That is why the Mexicans jerry rig so much, and are so good ant fixing things an American shop would not touch. Plus they do not worry about liability here. It rules our life in the USA. In the USA a shop would say "no way, I am not going to fix that, if it breaks I am getting sued. Here the culture is, I have to fix that, the new part is hard to get (impossible) and no one can afford it new. And he can do it so much cheaper because he is not paying liability insurance.

I just checked my prop. It is a 10 3/8 x 14. 50 HP 2 stroke Yamaha. Does that sound about right?

I took the fin off, and will try it like that. And take a GPS to get a real reading.

Hi Ratpatrol, I have owned both and both are great boats. Why I think the Hobie is beterr is it cuts the waves better and does not porpose in the bow. There less splash and spray also. You sit up higher in all the Hobie models and the feeling in rought water / swells is more stable. Much of the feeling is subjective but the hull feels more solid . If you still have an old Hobie brochure please let me know as I would be willing to buy it for other to obtain or if you could scan it I sure would appreicate it. I used to have the color brochure but sold it with the skiff a few years ago. I bought a Hobie skiff a couple of months ago and would really like to have the brochure again. thanks, Bill docwdw1@yahoo.com

View PostI have been dong some "cleaning up" that the boat has needed for a while. The wiring under console was a mess, as well as the two areas where the wires and steering cable go into and out the hull. You can see in both shots where i have removed the horribly rusted ring, and the rubber wrap material is shot. In this shot you can also see the tennis ball idea I got from this forum. They look to the perfect size. I love it! Also you can see a cable going thought the scupper hole. It is a lock set up, it goes through the outboard and around a big cement light pole. It is right in front of our house here in Mexico.

These two places are the only rusted metal I have found on the boat. I suspect it was an off the shelf item. Any know? Any new ideas on how to improve it? Under the console here. I read here of someone who used 4" PVC to make an extension up from the deck, I like that idea!

I show this as I am looking for a good solution to removing rust. You can see the rusty holes on the side of the console. The PO used plated steel screws and nuts to attach some small rod holders. I got weary of the rust streaks, so used a dremel tool but off the nuts. what a mess. Any good common solution for rust staining?

And this last shot is just for fun. That is 1978 Honda CT Trail 90. I have a few of them. They are the ultimate way to get around here. In fact, in this place, you see, VW buggies (all types) Honda trail bikes, Old trimaran sailboats, on and on. It is like everything from the last 30 years in California came down here and stayed. No worries! In this shot it is carrying an anchor for my sailboat. But they are definitely two of my favorite fun ways to get around!

Go to a local West Marine if they have them down there? And pickup some Hull Cleaner it has Oxalic Acid in it for the active ingredient. The same stuff that is in CLR but in liquid form. Put it into a spray bottle and spray the rusty areas. Let it sit for 5-10 mins. and hose off. No more rust! They also have some stuff I found at Lowes that removes rust, it has the same acid in it and only costs like $5.00 a pint much cheaper than the Hull Cleaner and it seems to work just as well.

Michael Mayo
"I work so I can Fish!"

Thanks Mike, (For me, fishing is my work)

I did some searching around the web and found the product "Bar Keepers Friend", It is an Oxalic Acid product, and everyone raves about it. I am in the States this weekend for the Holidays and picked up 4 cans (about he size of a Comet can) At Lowes, It was less than $10 for all four. They have a website. But it looks like, rust, stainless steel, glass. Almost anything on a Hobie I can think of. Thanks!

Just for fun (for you sport fishing guys) here is a squid we got last winter in the Bering Sea.biggrin.gif

hi i need some advice here ,

the back two bolts holding my cockpit to the floor must have been loose and have worked open the holes in the cockpit making the holes in the cockpit a long oval shape,(holes in the deck are fine.)

so i want re-glass the holes to the right size for the bolt and glass in a s/steel washer or two to stop it happening again. now i heard somewhere some resins dion't bond with some types of GRP

soooooo.....what i want to know is headscratch.gif

1. what resin is best to use epoxy or polyester resin ?

2. should i use woven fabric or chopped strand matt .. or both ?

3. is the nut for the bolt into the floor encapsulated?

thanks for any and all advice biggrin.gif

aussiejim
fly fisherman & hobie power skiff owner