LI Surfers Thread

Rate this topic

How is John and the other surfers going to handle the "no stopping" at Smith Point?

What total Bulls#*t, the plover are up near the dunes and if you can drive past them what is the damage being done by parking and grabbing a few waves 200 yards from their nests. The Feds and the birders have basically taken a park from the the local taxpayers.

Same as what they did to the regular folks down in Hatteras Island. The warnings were there what they do in Hatteras doesn't stay there, there is a plan and it doesn't' include us enjoying the beach.

If you surf expect any break that doesn't need 4x4 access to be crowded exponentially. Expect parking lots at public beaches to be closed because they are filled to capacity. Think of the environmental impact that will have. Eisey I guess you can tell I'm not dealing with it well, and I'm sure John isn't either.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

Whatever happened to searchin (John)?

Bumped into Searchin/Johnny out front a few times last Fall, he's probably just busy with family and work. If you see this, I have that copy of Zeno's book you lent me in my truck and will get it to you next time we cross paths, otherwise will drop it in the mail. 

Bumped into Searchin/Johnny out front a few times last Fall, he's probably just busy with family and work. If you see this, I have that copy of Zeno's book you lent me in my truck and will get it to you next time we cross paths, otherwise will drop it in the mail. 

I just sent him a message on the other site letting him know about the fling.

Former LIBBA #1818

How is John and the other surfers going to handle the "no stopping" at Smith Point?

The same way the "fishing only" community is going to........you realize it applies to all people.

I was kicked off for fishing by pines. Though I could get some casts in in the fog without being seen. Parks truck with three officers fly up and jump out like I was robbing the place.

That shack was great!!  It was built by a friend whom surfs and fishes, then added to by so many others. Its hard to imagine how many people have visited that shack....until the county deemed it an unsafe, uncertified structure and destroyed. Although the dune ate most of it by that time!

And Johnny is doing fine

• 3 months later...

Just returned from vacation and the first stop was Huntington Beach, California, aka "Surf City". I remember attending a few OP Pro surf tourneys at this pier back in the late 80's! Great stuff (except for the huge riot of '86). Although I didn't surf, I did prefer the boogie board and body surfing and learned a lot from some of the locals. Great memories!

Happy 125th Birthday Duke!

post-26855-0-42276700-1440416321_thumb.jpg

post-26855-0-69107400-1440416330_thumb.jpg

post-26855-0-50817600-1440416055_thumb.jpg

post-26855-0-48171100-1440415991_thumb.jpg

post-26855-0-90446500-1440416000_thumb.jpg

post-26855-0-86751700-1440416068_thumb.jpg

post-26855-0-74173100-1440416272_thumb.jpg

Former LIBBA #1818

I haven't been to HB since the early 80's like 83. HSS was on a side street near the other shops, and the area was kind of ghetto. Was Chuck Dent's shop still there? HB wasn't such a tourist area, a lot of winos and junkies on the side streets.

It certainly has been gentrified by the look of the photos.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

I believe Chuck's shop is still there, but a block over from Main Street. I didn't go over there.

Yes, it is definitely much different from back then, but there are still a lot of winos and junkies down the back streets.

It's definitely more of a tourist area now with huge hotels along PCH..

post-26855-0-87198500-1440422136_thumb.jpg

Former LIBBA #1818