When tying this rig, how should I thread the dropper loop through the eye of the hook?

Rate this topic

chazzbo77

I'm making the below rig with 6/0 circle hooks:

Source link:

http://www.****************/forum/showthread.php?t=197834

Now, I'm confused as to how to thread the dropper loop through the hook.  Do I do it as shown, by passing the loop through the front of the hook (the hook side), or do I do it how I've seen it on other sites and start it by threading the loop through the back of the hook?  

I'm pretty sure one will make the circle hook sit right in the fishes mouth, and the other way will make it sit wrong.

Thanks!

If you go through the front of the hook your hook will point toward your main leader and if you go through the back it will point outwards. Like Tony stated it's no big deal either way. If you go through the front i doubt it will catch the bend in the hook and hang up on the main with the dropper being as short as it is and with the stiffness of that dropper. Personally for that setup i prefer attaching through the back side but again it's no biggie.

I just looked at the pic and obviously he went through the front with the loop which is fine.

For what its worth, I clip off one of the lines right down by the knot, leaving what is really just a blood knot with a single long tag end, then snell the hook onto that instead of leaving a loop - never really liked the idea of 2 lines coming out of the fish's mouth and worry about the bait or the hook or something on the bottom fouling or snagging on the loop.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

You could also place the hook in the middle of the loop before tying the dropper, then pass the entire hook through the wraps, so the hook only has one section of line going through instead of the whole end of the loop, and is movable.

You could also place the hook in the middle of the loop before tying the dropper, then pass the entire hook through the wraps, so the hook only has one section of line going through instead of the whole end of the loop, and is movable.

That's what I do for teasers - lets the fly dance around.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Gentleman Please let's take all theses great posts into consideration !

I think we all in good faith are trying to help this fellow out but also I think we are confusing the hell out of him.

Let's try to keep it basic. I myself have posted along with Mr Cnnash many things where either the OP missed or didin't read.

Via a repeat post.

Let me ask a question to chazzbo. Where are you from? If close I'd be more than happy to meet & greet & try to help you out.

These guys are great & these is no doubt the best fishing web-site anywhere.

I know sometimes myself, Cash & Mr EBHarvey get frustrated at times but in a loving way! We care & bottom line we want to HELP!

I think we all in good faith are trying to help this fellow out but also I think we are confusing the hell out of him.

Let's try to keep it basic. I myself have posted along with Mr Cnnash many things where either the OP missed or didin't read.

Via a repeat post.

Let me ask a question to chazzbo. Where are you from? If close I'd be more than happy to meet & greet & try to help you out.

I know sometimes myself, Cash & Mr EBHarvey get frustrated at times but in a loving way! We care & bottom line we want to HELP!

Did you write the above Ron? impressive but it's not just EB, you and myself trying to help, lets give everyone credit who decided to contribute. Never mind i missed your first line. My bad.

I go through the back of the hook and pull the line over. This way the hook faces up. I do it this way because thats what i was told a while ago using fresh water rigs, have the hook facing up.

I also like the idea of having the teaser added before you tie the dropper.

Also their are guys that like to twist their line so the hook stays away from their main line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytyingguy1 View Post

Via a repeat post.

Thanks a lot everyone.  It sounds like it really doesn't matter which way you start the threading.  What I wound up doing was going through the front of the hook, over the hook, then twisting the loop and taking it BACK over the hook.  Its how I saw it done in a rig I have in my tackle box, and it seems a little more secure than just having it loop around once. 

I appreciate everyone trying to help, and I will admit it does get sort of overwhelming, but overall it's a huge help.  I'm in the dark with a lot of this stuff and, again, you've all been a big help.  

That being said, here's my last question (it's a simple one): Is 50# test enough for this rig?  I feel like it should be more than enough.  I tied six of them today with Gama in-line circle hooks, and used 50# test line.