iphish

Thule 885 Castaway Fishing Rod Holder

23 posts in this topic

I had one, got it off CL. A buddy of mine had it also, just for the hell of it I tried my keys to unlock his, they worked..lol. Not sure if anyone else had this experience, but different locks would be a good idea!

i've had mine for about 5 yrs and kept it on my roofrack ever since. no problems with the locking mechanism or the straps. minimal discoloration of the box but. black color can be revived with " back to black" or other plastic restore products. the crossbar should have some foam support for the rods to rest on to minimize scratching and so the rods can lay better. as for the locking mechanism, a doublelock may help if someone wanted extra security. i dont rely on the manufacturer lock for security. i use it to make sure the box doesnt fly open while im driving. as for price, i wouldnt mind paying as long as it is a quality product.

Did you ever make these . I want a Thule 885 Castaway Fishing Rod Holder Rooftop Rack Carrier Lockable and can't find one anywhere.

I hope it's okay to revive this old thread.  I guess this project never went anywhere, but does anybody have a recommendation for something like the Castaway except  with more room for reels?  Requirements:

1.  Can be mounted on standard roof racks.

2.  Holds no less than four saltwater-sized rods with reels mounted.  (Say 6000 class spinners, no disassembly required.)

3.  Reels are enclosed.

4.  Lockable.

5...  Anything I forgot.

Ski racks, inside-vehicle storage, and PVC tube don't fit the bill.  Thanks.

Mike

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, mike1010 said:

I hope it's okay to revive this old thread.  I guess this project never went anywhere, but does anybody have a recommendation for something like the Castaway except  with more room for reels?  Requirements:

1.  Can be mounted on standard roof racks.

2.  Holds no less than four saltwater-sized rods with reels mounted.  (Say 6000 class spinners, no disassembly required.)

3.  Reels are enclosed.

4.  Lockable.

5...  Anything I forgot.

Ski racks, inside-vehicle storage, and PVC tube don't fit the bill.  Thanks.

Mike

Find a used castaway or build one out of a plastic tool box and some weather stripping.  

m_agnerak is coming out with something similar, but it seems like vaporware at this point.  

FWIW, the castaway didn't even meet your specs.  It fit maybe 3 not FW sized reels.  

Edited by Captain Planet

3 mins ago, Captain Planet said:

Find a used castaway or build one out of a plastic tool box and some weather stripping.  

m_agnerak is coming out with something similar, but it seems like vaporware at this point.  

FWIW, the castaway didn't even meet your specs.  It fit maybe 3 not FW sized reels.  

I currently have a Castaway, and it is a little small, which is why I am asking.  Building something is an option.

On 8/28/2012 at 1:46 PM, iphish said:

You have seen one, several of you own one and several more want one. That funny but very practical lockable rod and real roof top attachment as we all no is no longer being made by thule.

So If I were to to outsource one ( manufacture) and eventually import one to sell to the end user first, (via a website like this one or my product website) a very simular design, feature, materials and of course lockable.....

1) how much do you think is fair price retail price? If it were made today the thule castaway , adjusting for materials and over increase of thier other products would be $200-225 retail

2) How much would you be willing to pay for a like product?

3) for owners of the castaway, would you prefer a model that would be slightly bigger? is the curreent size adequate?

4) would you prefer your own pad lock to lock it or an integrated lock?

For owners, what other general improvements what would you like to see different or improved on?

I have this model as it was given to me from someone who does not fish anymore.

1 - $200 price tag seems to be fair.

2 - I would pay $200.

3 - Definitely a bigger box would be a lot better.

4 - I would rather use a pad lock to lock it down.

As far as improvements, aside from a bigger box, I would change the rubber mold that squeezes down on the rods.  I find that its hard to lock down the box due to the rubber material squeezing down on the rods.  Something softer would be good.  Also maybe an easier way to bolt down the box?  When mounting the box, it takes some time to position the set screws to match with the holes on the box.  Its not hard, but it just take a little bit of time to do.

I just finished prototype of my roof top rod holders

It holds 7 rods and it is lockable.

I will post picks and specks  tomorrow