iphish

Thule 885 Castaway Fishing Rod Holder

23 posts in this topic

You have seen one, several of you own one and several more want one. That funny but very practical lockable rod and real roof top attachment as we all no is no longer being made by thule.

So If I were to to outsource one ( manufacture) and eventually import one to sell to the end user first, (via a website like this one or my product website) a very simular design, feature, materials and of course lockable.....

1) how much do you think is fair price retail price? If it were made today the thule castaway , adjusting for materials and over increase of thier other products would be $200-225 retail

2) How much would you be willing to pay for a like product?

3) for owners of the castaway, would you prefer a model that would be slightly bigger? is the curreent size adequate?

4) would you prefer your own pad lock to lock it or an integrated lock?

For owners, what other general improvements what would you like to see different or improved on?

Price would be OK, the reel box needs to be bigger to accomodate surf reels, the Thule product was too small. Either locking method is ok by me.

Rod vaults cost $200 and they don't cover the reel. So more would be ok.

Obviously a bigger box to accommodate surf reels, but also wider so you could carry four or more.

I would want to be able to use my own padlock.

Great idea, hope you can do it!

wider and deeper is better. Would suggest individual tie downs for the front rod holder so they dont drift while underway. Stronger housing in the reel box - either metal or a more robust plastic.

Yes, I own one and my thought was to make it bigger and deeper for surf reels. The material would obviously have to resist a crow bar or baseball bat. If you made it any tougher they would simply cut the bars or damage the car and remove it.

I was thinking around in the $150-200 range, one for small fresh water and fly reels, and another deeper one for the larger spinning reels and thicker rod handles.

There would be 3rd party rack kit sold with it, no sense designing something that is already designed and functional. Just the box would have to be made to accept the. Feet or mounting brackets from thule or yakima. Or both.

I had one. It's fine for FW but too small for surf fishing. I'd like to see them come out with a bigger model. A little wider but definitely deeper. They should dump the front strap and simply utilize a single Thule ski carrier. It's a waste to have an elaborate lock mechanism.

wider and deeper is better. Would suggest individual tie downs for the front rod holder so they dont drift while underway. Stronger housing in the reel box - either metal or a more robust plastic.

By making it out of metal you begin to introduce corrosion, paint, potential noise, if the thought is to make it out of metal so that its more tamper proof well the weakest point will still be the locking mechanism and or how it physically attaches. The ABS plastic is very tough currently used, it also holds up well under the sun, the only thing tougher would be a resin based fiberglass, but production costs would be through the roof. No pun intended.

It needs to be molded.

I have one and agree with the consensus that it should be deeper and wider to accommodate the larger surf reels and rods used by surfcasters.  I just used mine and to accommodate 4 rods but I had to take off two of the reels.  I was able to leave an Avet SX on and a tiny reel that came on an apprentice combo (ultra light) on the rods but had to take of my two real reels and store them elsewhere while traveling with the rods in the castaway.

Two other recommendation would be:

1. Make the external rod holder easier to replace the rubber / elastic strap as I'm sure it will be a pain to replace once it gets dry rot and falls apart.  I'm sure I can rig up some bungee cords but it will not be as "secure" and I use the term loosely in comparison.  A good alternative would be to use a locking ski rack as the other piece instead of the one provided. The down side of this is that it would probably increase the price as well. 

2.  I would leave a slightly wider opening in the front and back to accommodate bigger rods (diameter wise), obviously not length.

As far as price goes I would expect to pay in the ballpark of between $200 - $250 depending on the type of warranty the product would be covered by.

Really don't have a preference for the locking system as long as it works and replacement keys were available for a small fee.

Good luck.

I travel with a luggage box on the roof of my Jeep Patriot, it leaves about 13" of rack space where I mount a Rhino rack to transport my rods. I would like to see a two rod and a four rod model.