Crack in lower unit

Rate this topic

When I was putting my boat away yesterday I noticed a smear of gear lube on the lower unit. Close examination revealed a crack about an inch long in the housing below where the anti-ventilation plate is and towards the front. I have no idea how this happened. There is no sign of any impact, and I faithfully change gear lube before storing the boat for the winter. (engine is an Evinrude 88spl) Has anyone seen this happen before? To repair it I plan to drain and remove the lower unit, vee out the crack with a die grinder, and take it to a shop I know of that does welding on aluminum. Then I can grind the weld flush, repaint, and the repair should be invisible. Would anyone else repair it differently? This should be a strong, permanent repair. I'm just happy I found the crack before this became a major failure. I checked the area where the boat is stored and found no evidence of gear oil on the ground so I have to think this just happened yesterday.

No Slack,

What you describe is the best way to go about the repair you need to make. Additional homework for you though is to try your best to figure out how/why it happened to begin with. External impact, internal impact (broken gear?), faulty housing, electrolosis, inordinate cavitation, grossly unbalanced prop??? Lot's of things you cause this, especially if there was a sub-standard casting done when the housing was originally made. Good luck to you.

Is it too much to ask to just breathe, be able to walk and go fishing?

• 2 weeks later...