Sand Spikes

Rate this topic

AtTheBar

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBow View Post

I use and recommend Gene's spikes. His "system" for mounting them behind the rack is pure genius! One thing to consider if you use a mallet to pound in any spike where the holder is bolted to the pike. Pounding on the PVC to set the spike in the sand will bend the bolts and crack the PVC holder. Gene will tell you to rock them in. I only had to replace all my PVC holders once before I learned that lesson. That Gene feller is one smart dude! tongue.gif:)

I've learned to rock mine in and by doing so have found out two things. I can set the in/out - left/right angles as precisely as I want them. I can also "turn" the spike in the sand to allow the rod to lean with the wind and not fall halfway outta the holder.

Gene is definitely a good guy.  I fished with him and the club for a few years.  In the early stages of my surf fishing, he taught me a lot.  The least I can do is recommend his rack and gear.  I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't the best gear out there, in my opinion.

made me some 6' aluminum spikes with the cup holder pretty close to the top.

same here, i have 3 of those and two 5's... the 12" or so from the top to the bottom of the cup seems to work best... only issue i have seen is wind is honking from the SE.

Another plus is the muggers will drive by you and park beside the aluminum spike guys...........

that's funny... i usually look for the long pvc ones with the fancy reels.... and some sort of stick markers.... :D

I use and recommend Gene's spikes. His "system" for mounting them behind the rack is pure genius! One thing to consider if you use a mallet to pound in any spike where the holder is bolted to the pike. Pounding on the PVC to set the spike in the sand will bend the bolts and crack the PVC holder. Gene will tell you to rock them in. I only had to replace all my PVC holders once before I learned that lesson. That Gene feller is one smart dude! :p:)

I've learned to rock mine in and by doing so have found out two things. I can set the in/out - left/right angles as precisely as I want them. I can also "turn" the spike in the sand to allow the rod to lean with the wind and not fall halfway outta the holder.

I have Gene's spikes as well and I love them. I had to make change cause me friends were making fun of me :(. My old spikes were not pretty.

I may even put a spike in the sand this weekend....hope I still remember how.

That spike rig is a little too complicated for me, and MAYBE a little "Rubish"......sure is outside of the box. But it needs lots more moving parts.....as is I don't think if it really achieves "Rube Goldberg" status.

"......A Rube Goldberg machine, contraption, invention, device, or apparatus is a deliberately over-engineered or overdone machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction. The expression is named after American cartoonist and inventor Rube Goldberg (1883–1970)....."

There is an "official" Rube Goldberg website..check it out....very funny stuff.

But I did not see any rod spike contraptions there ;)

Did not mean to imply you used them I am all for creative license. I'm sure they work for some folks. For me "keep it simple stupid" seems to work best - so plain old aluminum spikes are what I am after. Btw poppy thanks for all of your "reading the water" posts, some of the best reads on SOL imho.

:rav: