Hi guys, just went back from Cherrystome Virginia for a vacation. While fishing there I saw an old man caught a medium size stingray and I tried to help him land the stingray from the pier with a landing net. He doesn't know how to unhook the stingray so I decided to lend him a hand. As far as I know I have to secure the tail, so I stepped on the tail (both feet) then proceed unhooking the stingray, unluckily it slipped (I was wearing a beach sandals) and it manage to stung me on the left foot. Now I am feeling a burning pain on the area where I got stung. I heard a lot of people says it's posionous, others says, I'll be fine, the burning pain will last only a couple of days then will go away by itself. I need some advice from people who are knowledgeable about stingray or have experienced the same situation. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. .
What happen if you get stung by Stingray?
Posted July 09 2012 - 9:36 PM
Posted July 09 2012 - 9:38 PM
Posted July 09 2012 - 9:42 PM
If this is true I would go see a doctor just to be safe. You can never be too sure.
Say good bye to your left foot and possibly other extermeties. How is your breathing? The posion travels through your body very slowly. I would be very cautious about laying down tonight to sleep, you might not wake up.
Posted July 09 2012 - 10:01 PM
lol nah Grimm is pulling your leg. You'll be fine. It's not pleasant, but it's not serious. The pain is worst the first hour or so. One of the ways to kill off the protein based venom is sticking your foot in a hot(HOT) bucket/tub of water and soaking it for a long time. An hour or two. As long as you don't have worsening condition(tightness in chest, vomiting, difficulty breathing, etc) you don't need to go to the er. If all it is, is localized pain, that'll go away. Just soak it, then dress it like you would(triple antibiotic, gauze wrap).
Posted July 09 2012 - 10:03 PM
btw, I used to go to cherrystone a couple times a year as a kid. Haven't been in over a decade. But we used to catch a ton of rays down there.
Posted July 09 2012 - 10:05 PM
Posted July 09 2012 - 10:18 PM
You really should be asking your doc these questions not us. I think I'd be on the way to the ER. Hope everything turns out ok. Good luck.
Loser of Lures.
Posted July 09 2012 - 10:31 PM
Just got off the phone with my doctor, since, more than 90 minutes have already passed and I was alert, awake and oriented, no allergic reaction or any changes in breathing he just advised me to soak it in hot water (the hotter the better, to slow down the venom which causes a burning pain) and put neosporin after soaking to avoid infections. He also advised me not take any aspirinl (because it will speed up the circulation of the venom in the bloodstream, since it has a properties of blood thinner, but rather take tylenol for the pain), I feel the pain starting to subsides. Thanks for all the advise guys.
Posted July 09 2012 - 10:34 PM
well said Surffishinfiend, you and my doctor have the same medical advice....Thanks for your advice...
Posted July 09 2012 - 10:36 PM
No stop..that's for jelly fish stings Serioulsy glad you are OK you could have had an allergic reaction and gone into anaphylactic shock
Posted July 10 2012 - 1:45 AM
Posted July 10 2012 - 3:40 AM
Posted July 10 2012 - 4:18 PM
Posted July 10 2012 - 5:00 PM