Luxor Reels

I have 2 of these old reels in super condition. One small one about the size of mitchell 300, the other much bigger, the size of a Mitchell 302. What do you all know about these reels, and values?? They still can be used today. Should I?? What years were thy sold? How much?? Is there a demand for these old reels??

I miss the man who owned these reels, my grandfather-who got me into bay fishing when I was about 4 years old on the bay, and now I am 61, where in the heck did the time go?? Does anyone have that answer.

Thanks--Steve

Luxor reels later became Crack reels. There are 3 sizes, the 100 which is mainly a freshwater reel, the 200 which is between a Penn 710 and 704 in size, and the 300 which is a big heavy surf casting classic.

Back in the day they were the Van Staal of their time, easily waterproofed and tough as nails. They were the reel of choice for a long time out in Montauk due to their ruggedness.

Because of their weight they lost ground to the Penn 706 but the proof of their design is in the Van Staal and the first few generations of ZeeBass which copied the Cracks internal design.

Depending on condition the 300 reels are worth between $50 well used to $150 in excellent condition with a box, the smaller sizes a bit less.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• 3 years later...

Luxor reels later became Crack reels. There are 3 sizes, the 100 which is mainly a freshwater reel, the 200 which is between a Penn 710 and 704 in size, and the 300 which is a big heavy surf casting classic.

Back in the day they were the Van Staal of their time, easily waterproofed and tough as nails. They were the reel of choice for a long time out in Montauk due to their ruggedness.

Because of their weight they lost ground to the Penn 706 but the proof of their design is in the Van Staal and the first few generations of ZeeBass which copied the Cracks internal design.

Depending on condition the 300 reels are worth between $50 well used to $150 in excellent condition with a box, the smaller sizes a bit less.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for a great  compilation of information on the Luxor.  I got a Luxor C when in the mid 60's when I was a sophomore in high school.  My aunt sent it to me from Paris.  The Luxors were virtually unknown on the West Coast where I lived.  I didn't know what I had.  All I know was it wasn't a Mitchell.  

In time the reel was lost.  In atonement, I tried to get a replacement.  I started looking a few years ago but no new ones could be found.  I started buying used ones for cannibalization and managed to put together a newish Frankenstein in reels.   I am good in buying but not at all in selling.  So I have six Luxor/Crack reels in my collection.  They don't look very good buy they work and I fish with them on a rotation basis, on the beach as well as from a pier.  Yup, they can be used but they are heavy.  The only reel that comes close to the Luxor in weight and size is the D.A.M. Quick Royal 990FD, Van Stall and ZeeBaas notwithstanding.    

The Frankenstein is strictly a show piece.

Recently I bought a 300-like reel with a true to life manual pickup.  It is made in Brazil.  It is essentially a Luxor except for the PUM.  The finish is not as refine as the Luxor; it is more like a Crack.  I am a recent convert to manual pickup and am pursuing reels set up that way.  Needless to say, the Brazilian Luxor will probably not go near water.         

I've seen Luxor/Crack reels customized with fluted rotors and drilled drain holes in the spool. They not only are made  lighter but look cool too. The shaft alone in one of there reels is heavy stainless and rugged. The weak point on the reel is the where it attaches to the rod. Generally the reel seat is too large to fit the rod so I've seen then cut to fir. I've also seen them broken off on one side, time for a tape job! Also, the drag is not multiple disk type but can be modified.

All in all, if you want to have a great reel for a low price a large Luxor B or Crack 300 is your ticket.  

Ted

I've seen Luxor/Crack reels customized with fluted rotors and drilled drain holes in the spool. They not only are made  lighter but look cool too. The shaft alone in one of there reels is heavy stainless and rugged. The weak point on the reel is the where it attaches to the rod. Generally the reel seat is too large to fit the rod so I've seen then cut to fir. I've also seen them broken off on one side, time for a tape job! Also, the drag is not multiple disk type but can be modified.

All in all, if you want to have a great reel for a low price a large Luxor B or Crack 300 is your ticket.  

Ted

WHERE!?!?

Occasionally on Ebay you will see a modified Luxor/Crack. They fluted the rotor and looked very much like the VS reels of today. Back in the 70's these reels were "the reel". I still have several but they aren't modified. 

Anyone out there with  a machined Luxor/Crack reel?

I live and fish in California and I have never seen another Luxor in use.  Had my generous aunt asked me what I wanted, instead of assuming that I would have wanted the best, I would have asked for a Mitchell.  The surf fishing community is different from that of the East Coast.  

I managed to accumulate Luxors designated A, B, and C.  Quite frankly I can't see any difference among them.  Some of them were advertised as having been converted to manual pickup.  But in reality all the previous owners did was removing the bail and left the roller assembly.  It doesn't really work.  I skinned my knuckle more than a few times when I cranked to engage the line.

I just purchased a Brazilian Luxor with a rotor designed with a manual pickup.  I haven't got the reel yet and I probably won't be able to give a user report.  I simply can't afford to spool yet another reel.   

post-70690-0-74676100-1454096360_thumb.jpg

Occasionally on Ebay you will see a modified Luxor/Crack. They fluted the rotor and looked very much like the VS reels of today. Back in the 70's these reels were "the reel". I still have several but they aren't modified. 

Anyone out there with  a machined Luxor/Crack reel?

My quest continues!

Some say it was the reel that inspired VanStaal. My mother surf casted w/ a 200 on an 8' Harnell rod. My father used a 300 on an 11'6" Lami. I acquired the 300 w/ the lami but I sold it. Just to heavy for my liken!

Yeah, I read that too.  I opened up one of my Luxors and the gut seemed simple enough.  Having found the grease filled interior more than a little daunting, I quickly closed it up with a minimum of goo under my nails.  Fisherman I am..., mechanic I am not.

I have a VS100 which I use with a Daiwa rod.  It's hollow!  I can't tell you the model; all the printing on the rod is in Japanese.  Could be a KW800.  It's a real fancy rod with counter weight disks that can be removed from the butt, partially or entirely.  I also stuck it on a 11' Lami but neither combination felt right.  They just don't balance.  Finally I put it on a beautifully made graphite 9 footer from China and the combination rocks.  The rod is a manufacturer's sample.  That stick sports the most sturdy reel seat I have ever seen.  Looki:

post-70690-0-13007600-1454101288_thumb.jpg

Santa gave me a VS200 a month ago.  I waved it around a few times on the Lami but only actual use will tell whether the combo works or not.  I am waiting to accumulate enough piggy bank change to spool it.  Man at the tackle shop said I wouldn't want anything lighter that 50lb.  OK..., now what do I use for shock leader?

Don't see too many lady fisherman in these parts.  In fact, other than my wife, I have seem nary a one on the beaches.

I like the design of the DAM Quick 270/Super  because they were built like tanks and I can easily convert it to left hand drive for my wife.  In my quest, I came upon this fellow on youtube who did some fancy converting.  He vented the rotor and somehow made the reel water proof.  The finished product is beautiful.  I contacted him hoping a get the same thing done.  But he said that his conversion was as water proofed as he thought and he stopped doing custom work on the 270.  He would consider parting with his reel but then her would have to replace it with a Penn Torque.  I got the message.  Peace Brother..., peace.

I am new to stripersonline and I was just cautioned that the referrals I made might have violated the site charter.  I'd like to send you to that machinist who worked on the DAMs.  He is not selling anything; for that matter, neither am I.  'Think it is safe for me to refer you to that site to see something beautiful?

I live and fish in California and I have never seen another Luxor in use.  Had my generous aunt asked me what I wanted, instead of assuming that I would have wanted the best, I would have asked for a Mitchell.  The surf fishing community is different from that of the East Coast.  

I managed to accumulate Luxors designated A, B, and C.  Quite frankly I can't see any difference among them.  Some of them were advertised as having been converted to manual pickup.  But in reality all the previous owners did was removing the bail and left the roller assembly.  It doesn't really work.  I skinned my knuckle more than a few times when I cranked to engage the line.

I just purchased a Brazilian Luxor with a rotor designed with a manual pickup.  I haven't got the reel yet and I probably won't be able to give a user report.  I simply can't afford to spool yet another reel.   

attachicon.gifBrazilian Luxor.jpg

I dig this reel, but then again I'm gettin' to be an old timer at this point. very cool!

They aren't worth much anymore.

And ,yes,,the Van Staal was completely based on the Crack/Luxor 300.

And it was all based on Montauk North Side guys and Campo along with Bill Prinesberger.

He was the man for us at the time.

But,Barbara took care of all the shipping,and she kept us in parts when we needed them.