trapping eels

Rate this topic

hardbait

Horseshoe crabs are federally protected. I wouldn't touch them dead or alive, we're talking huge fines.

If you get a permit from your town you can harvest horseshoe crabs. However, this week the NYDEC closed the fishery down until further notice.

This is from the NYDEC site...

"Updates on Commercial Fisheries for Black Sea Bass and Horseshoe Crab

As of May 15, the commercial black sea bass fishery opened with a daily trip limit of 50 pounds. The horseshoe crab fishery trip limit decreased to 100 crabs per day. Effective May 23, the horseshoe crab trip limit will decrease to 30 crabs per day. The horseshoe crab fishery trip limit reductions are set to ensure the 2012 spring quota is not exceeded. Based on current and remaining outstanding harvest reports, the fishery is projected to reach the 75% threshold by May 23. For more information, visit DEC's Commercial Fishing Limits webpage."

I posted a similar question about a month ago and didn't get a lot of feedback so I just tried a few things out and here's what I found works the best; Chicken livers and dog or cat food, make sure you toss your trap or whatever your using near pylons or shallow rocky water. If that dosen't work go catfishing for some reason I always catch big eels when trying to catch catfish haha.

Harbait,

I have trapped them in freshwater, I would catch a sunfish or perch hack it up let the trap soak overnight and get a few eels here and there. But I have had my traps stolen at the only 3 locations near me I know there are eels. Now I just go catch them on rod and reel with worms on bottom at night. I would experiment with anything smelly, old mackerel, leftover scraps from fish maybe wet cat food in a can. If your doing at a pond where people fish at hide your line.