Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yogiiiboy

Legend Surf Butt Length

23 posts in this topic

I cut around 5 inches off the butt of my 8 foot St Croix Legend Surf. It works great for when I'm going back and forth walking along sea walls, back bays and open beach. Makes a great addition to my fishing arsenal!IMG_6610.thumb.JPG.ea8a0458c4145d5f8437b8f788803d2f.JPG

I guess to each is own .. I love the long butt on the 8’ avid which is same as legend.. was part of what sold me on it.. for what it worth my buddy is wheel chair bound and I cut 6” of his 8’ legend. He needs a short butt  to Fish but when I tried it I didn’t like it at all.. felt like half the power was cut out .. 

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

I guess to each is own .. I love the long butt on the 8’ avid which is same as legend.. 

I too have the 8ft Avid surf with long butt section. Bought as a specialty rod for back bay and rock hopping as I have multiple 10.6's. Sometimes I"ll start out fishing on ledges and rocks and observe fish action in the sandy surf down beach. Still in the game if I need to reach fish farther out in the surf. The long butt aids in casting and reaching the outliers.  The tip on this particular rod is stout enough for hoisting up smaller stripers when I'm perched on ledge.

I know what you mean Wire For Fire. When I know I'm going only surfcasting I don't use that particular rod. I have different surf rods with way longer handles that I like better for surfcasting. Though somtimes I know I'm going surfcasting and also fishing some tight spots either before or after I hit the beach like piers that runs under bridges, sea walls along narrow Inlets and wanna grab just the one rod instead of my usual arsenal. I guess it gives me just another option depending on how many rods I feel like bringing..

On 4/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, Fishing & Hunting said:

I know what you mean Wire For Fire. When I know I'm going only surfcasting I don't use that particular rod. I have different surf rods with way longer handles that I like better for surfcasting. Though somtimes I know I'm going surfcasting and also fishing some tight spots either before or after I hit the beach like piers that runs under bridges, sea walls along narrow Inlets and wanna grab just the one rod instead of my usual arsenal. I guess it gives me just another option depending on how many rods I feel like bringing..

I fish the avid surf 90% off rocky steal side of bridges and still like the long butt.. jigging 2-3oz without rod between the legs beat up your quickly.. even off pier still Fish same way .. but it’s jut what I used I guess ... been doing it same old way like 20 yr .. ain’t changing now 

I can appreciate that Wire For Fire. I get beat up quickly too whenever I fish my old heavy Lamiglass GSB M. I'll pass up my newer, lighter and "supposedly" stronger rods because I like the way that old GSB fights big fish. Only problem is back in the day I hade twice the muscles and half the arthritis so I didn't feel it as much as today. LOL!

3 hours ago, Fishing & Hunting said:

I can appreciate that Wire For Fire. I get beat up quickly too whenever I fish my old heavy Lamiglass GSB M. I'll pass up my newer, lighter and "supposedly" stronger rods because I like the way that old GSB fights big fish. Only problem is back in the day I hade twice the muscles and half the arthritis so I didn't feel it as much as today. LOL!

Hooooo boy, does that post ever feel familiar.