The Riddler

Home Poured Rubber For the Kayak Angler

393 posts in this topic

How's it fishing at night there? Is there any back ground light at all? The moon will be around 1/2 I think. I like fishing mudflats too early season. Lots of fun.

It's pretty rural around a lot of the area so not too much ambient light. I'm hoping to have the time to spend more time out there this year.

If it's rural there won't be much light. I have to peak at the moon calendar to see what time it sets. Some guys like the pitch black, I hate it. That's why I'm blessed where I live...you know.

I'm about to place an order for some new plastic & was wondering if you guys prefer liquid or powder color. I had some liquid pink that fades pretty quick...I've had much better luck with pearl white powder.

I haven't had any issues with rubber fading....it may be because I use it fast. :D I had some stuff out in the sun for a while and haven't had any fading that I noticed to say I need to get power.

Liquid does dry out. When it stands around for a year or so. I only buy small bottles now. Advantage powder.

Just came back from Bass Pro. I can't believe the price of rubber! Holy ****! $11.99 for an 8 pack of baits. 3 for 10.99 for 13" baits. :shock:

Yeah, even the smaller 5" paddletails are now about $1 each. Not with any hooks molded in or anything....who would've thought sluggo's would get more expensive than eels :confused:

I was able to pick up a tube of the ace hardware white silicone for about $6. Tried & failed three times to get a zoom fluke mold. After I mixed it with water it had the consistency of mashed potatoes and I only had a working time of 5-10 minutes. I'm still keeping an eye out for the mainstay silicone.

Just came back from Bass Pro. I can't believe the price of rubber! Holy ****! $11.99 for an 8 pack of baits. 3 for 10.99 for 13" baits. :shock:

I never thought I'd be thinking of pouring my own plastics, but the prices have gotten out of control. On my wish list is for someone to come out with molds for the 13" bait for saltwater and Yamamoto Swim Senko for freshwater fishing.

Yeah, even the smaller 5" paddletails are now about $1 each. Not with any hooks molded in or anything....who would've thought sluggo's would get more expensive than eels :confused:

I was able to pick up a tube of the ace hardware white silicone for about $6. Tried & failed three times to get a zoom fluke mold. After I mixed it with water it had the consistency of mashed potatoes and I only had a working time of 5-10 minutes. I'm still keeping an eye out for the mainstay silicone.

It's tough to do a Zoom mold but not impossible. The bellies are so soft and can warp with slight pressure. As me how I know. lol.. Lurecraft has a 5" fluke mold that is pretty close to the Zoom. I bought two. Albies still slam it. :D

I never thought I'd be thinking of pouring my own plastics, but the prices have gotten out of control. On my wish list is for someone to come out with molds for the 13" bait for saltwater and Yamamoto Swim Senko for freshwater fishing.

I copied that 13" jiggin bait. Plaster of paris for the mold, baked it dry and then sealed it with a light coat of Devcon Epoxy. Any of those flat type baits are easy to copy and hand pour with a pyrex cup.

Slamming more Jumbo on Home Poured 14" Black and White. It never gets old. If you are not pouring, you should be! ;)

Some people shoot dope, some people shoot themselves, I'm on the water.

http://youtu.be/jChDYBW0IEI

Riddler, this is awesome. Thanks for opening this thread. Me and the Rev have been wanting to do this for a while after talking to you about it. Can't wait to try it out.

Riddler, this is awesome. Thanks for opening this thread. Me and the Rev have been wanting to do this for a while after talking to you about it. Can't wait to try it out.

No problem. It's not for everyone but it's fun to do. :)