The Riddler

Home Poured Rubber For the Kayak Angler

393 posts in this topic

I know there are other kayak anglers here who are into pouring their own rubber baits. Figured we could start a thread here and share information. If you are a beginner and looking to get into this it's a simple process and you will be creating fish catching baits on your first pours. The goal is too help you with the learning curve and the links below will absolutely help with that. That's what worked for me.

Riddler what mold do you use? And what's the biggest difference between the ones you pour and ones off the shelf? Just wondering...

I use a number of different mold models and materials. I have 16" baits to 5" Zoom Fluke type baits. I use Plaster of Paris, Bondo, Walmart Silicone White and Ace Hardware Silicone White. I have also purchased pre-made molds online that will give you a 10" slug mold ready to go for 14 bucks.

Here is a how to for Plaster Of Paris and 9" Slug Model or any flat top style bait:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/577465/rubber-from-scratch

Here is the process on how to make a mold out of Walmart and Ace Hardware Silicone White:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/681038/diy-rtv-molds-for-soft-baits-for-under-a-buck

There really isn't a big difference from what you buy off the shelf and what you make in your back room on the cheap. It doesn't make a big difference to the fish, and that's key. There is nothing magical or mojo awesome between what is bought in a store and what you cook up in your man cave. You can be as creative as you want or keep it simple. That's the fun of it.

Here is an example of on the cheap. I bought two tubes of Walmart Mainstays White Silicone on sale for 2 bucks. The model I chose was a popular 14" Bait. I was able to make the mold for less then 5 bucks and poured 3 14" of the same baits for 47 cents a piece after buying a bulk 5 gallons container of rubber for 125 bucks. That's pretty cheap. The model is ready to go 100's of baits. Fish it, fish will slam it, recycle it! :)

Here's a 10" slug mold bought from Lurecraft.

[img=

Here's a 13" jiggin bait in a plaster of paris mold sealed with devcon epoxy. The epoxy gives it a high sheen. Made the mold for short money and the rubber is 100% recycled from spent rubber I used or found just lyring around or buddy handed me a bag of spent Sluggo, hogy, rubber.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3662229/width/700/height/402]

Yeah .......... neat thing is that you can customize them SOOOOOOOO many ways to make them work just the way you want ........... you can use super soft plastic to give amazing action ........ the plastic used from the manufacturers are made to give you the action and some durability so they are a little stiffer .......... they work great but I like 1 that has the action and I don't care about the durability ......... you can mold the hooks inside ........ you can mold them weighted with tungstun powder or powder painted lead to give you the fall that you want ....... you can load them with microballons and make a topwater bait ............. making your own opens a world of possibiities ..........

..... and there's something special about catching fish on lures and rods that you've made .........

Exactly! Good tip on the tungsten powder. Now I have to try that.

If your looking for a high sheen, simply pass a propane torch flame across the hardened plastic quickly. This will take the textures surface out and replace it with shine.

"If your looking for a high sheen, simply pass a propane torch flame across the hardened plastic quickly. This will take the textures surface out and replace it with shine."

........... or make the mold from RTV Silicone .......... 1 place sells them cheap .......... don't want to get in trouble by posting the name

Got into this last fall with much help from Riddler, thanks again bro. Now have 4 molds and will never buy another soft plastic, unless to make a mold of them. Great fun and love catching on my own lures. Will post some pics of mine later

Awesome Sparky! Post the pics. Tell us what works. Willing to do a mold swap if you want to pour some. I have the slugho mold ready to go! :D

Riddler , do you think the gulp baits could be recycled this way? I have a bunch of gulp mullets with no tails. It would be cool to be able to make a new bait and throw it back in the juice to recharge.