10 wt fly rod help

Rate this topic

Pmho

Crunch,

I fear you have as much chance of convincing others about the benifits of these very short rods as I have had trying to fly the flag for wet suits and dry suits for surf fishing with the fly rod. We are both flogging a horse that is long dead.:D

mikey O.

Funny, because I believe both of you.

"The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly."

The effect of short rod is very easy to test with 4pc rod. Just strip enough line to the ground and remove the butt section, then hold rod from the blank of second section and cast. Perhaps it is useful to first test first how much line you can aerialize with full rod without hauling and then compare to 3/4 length rod.

Hauling with 3/4 rod must be taken carefully because line does not run through a snake as easy as through the stripper guide to avoid rod breakage.

This 3/4 rod casting is good exercise for everyone who wants to improve fly line casting. Then use only 1/2 rod which is more challenging but when you can do it the use of full rod is easy.

Also the tip section can be removed which makes casting quite difficult. I believe this kind of "out of comfort zone" exercises are beneficial to learn faster how fly line behaves. When practicing it is better to use some yarn tied to the leader which makes casting safer and wear eye protection classes too because fast line hit can be dangerous.

Esa

"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once" 1939 Lee Wulff

• 2 weeks later...
check out the Redington Predator --outstanding rods for the money

Bob I notice that Redington have introduced new 9ft models. Are these similar in action to the old CPS or nearer the CPX action?

Thanks

John

• 9 months later...

STOP! Before you buy any more gear, buy a casting lesson or two. A different rod is not going to help your wrist...a good casting stroke will. You may find the rod you already own is just fine.

ditto foulhool and sightfisher. If you are breaking your wrist, it won't matter what you do. The pain won't go away. Practice casting with your wrist locked. Push your arm back and forth, not rotate your wrist back and forth. I've been fishing 10 wts. for 16 years and prefer them to all other rods. The faster the better. Get your arm and upper body to carry load. the wrist is not designed to be a pivot point under pressure.