• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 airforce2380

airforce2380

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted May 21 2012 - 9:49 AM

Does anyone here in the state of ct know how to do this correctly. My jarvis walker rod butt end is long and need to shorten it??

#2 Billybob

Billybob

Way too many!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,168 posts

Posted May 21 2012 - 10:20 AM

I don't know how correct it is, but I've just cut it off with a hacksaw and put a buttcap back on.

#3 EBHarvey

EBHarvey

Way too many!

• Administrators
  • 24,312 posts

Posted May 23 2012 - 12:44 PM

that's what I'd do too. :th:
originally posted by"Otter"...no matter what even if i came home with that cup of failtry, its clobberin time. you didnt bring me exactly what i asked and lay it at my feet. sometimes i think i married the killer dude from 'no country for old men' in a size 0

#4 zimmy

zimmy

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 8:38 AM

I agree with the hacksaw. One thing to note is that if the spot you are cutting is bare blank (ie no grip tape, foam, cork etc.) then you should put a couple wraps of tape on it before cutting. It can help prevent splintering or cracks.

#5 BranfordJeff

BranfordJeff

Way too many!

• Banned Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,484 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 7:11 AM

I did it once with a miter saw, very slow feed, let the saw cut it. A table saw will work fine, too. You'll get less pulling and fiber stress than with using a hacksaw, as you're stressing the rod a lot less than the pressure a hacksaw would require. If you do use a hacksaw, use really light pressure and take your time.

An abrasive wheel will work great too, like a dremel. 

And yeah, like zimmy said, if it's bare, wrap it with several wraps of duct tape.

I'm not a blank cutting pro, but that's how I'd do it. 

#6 zimmy

zimmy

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 7:19 PM

never considered a mitre saw, but sounds like it works. As an aside, when I cut them, I prefer to put the rod on a rod lathe and cut it with a dremel while it turns. Cuts like buttah.