what's the best filet knife?

Rate this topic

fish killer

DR knifes are good, but they will get corrosion spots. I bought a couple a saltwater show, washed them, and let them dry on a dish towel over night, in the morning they had rust spots. I also have a DR that I keep on my boat, rinsed after using and its never had a spot of rust. :confused:

The best part of trashing plugs is making more.

Gerber makes a good filet knife that sharpens easily holds a good edge and the price is fair. For bigger fish with stronger ribs I have a dexter with a serrated edge that does a good job but it seems it does better on fish that have been iced down and the flesh firmer.

[img=

Left to right:

Vintage Case Stainless

Murphy Knives (Ayerton MA) Carbon Steel... needs care, awesome blade for >$30

Kelgin (Orvis marked) Custom... ATS34 stainless, bamboo handle

Original USA Made Schrade Steelhead. Stainless... cleaned hundreds of fish with this one. My go to FK before the internet ;)

Helle of Norway... Stainless, spooky sharp OOB but just a little short.

My favorite, and it is a meat eating animal is a Dozier custom

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/ebbtide/DozierFillet.gif]

D2 steel, kydex sheath...

The custom maker known for his fillet knives is Phil Wilson.

A search for Seamount Knives will find him.

I don't typically carry my fillet knife while fishing, so straight carbon steels aren't a worry for me.

Besides, if you let the carbon steel patina (turn gray like an old hammer) it is less likely to form the bad orange rust.

You can hurry that patina along with a warm vinegar soak or smear it full of mustard and let it sit a while.

Go to one of the knife or blade related websites and search for 'forced patina'

The thing about titanium is that while it won't rust, it also won't hold a super edge or hold an edge for a long time.

Live everything else, there are trade offs.

If you are going to carry the knife (wet) all the time, and clean a fish only now and then, it'd probably be OK.

If you were cleaning a bunch of fish each trip out you'd be sharpening it a lot. And washing it a lot, so regular SS or even carbon would be a better bet.

So.

After all that :)

How much do you want to spend?

If the internet never came along I'd still be happy with the Schrade Steelhead.

Or one of the Rapala's mentioned above (all my friends had them)

Having said that, I still may buy one of the white handled Dexter Russells... just cuz.

:D

I have a handful of fillet knives. Case, DR, Rapala,................ but I like this one so much i have two, one for the truck and one for home

Cutco Fishermans Solution - 6" - 9" adjustable blade and measures 11-3/8" - 14-3/8" overall. The blade comes completely out of the handle for cleaning and sharpening. I love the adjustable feature, gives it the flexibility to work well on all sizes of fish.

Easily takes and holds a great edge and, although i never use it, the handle can be used as a gripper

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

My favorite is the Schrade like Ebbtide231 posted. I also have a custom Dozier knife that took 18 months to get, but I like the Schrade better because of the length and shape of the blade. I also have a few Dexter Russel's, which you can't beat for the money.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave.