trolling motor on kayak question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Skimmer

Skimmer

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm getting to the age where my body parts are giving out, one by one. Arthritis won't let me stand in the cold river to fish any longer, so I bought a kayak to fish from. Now I'm wondering if my tennis elbow will prevent me from doing much paddling, especially in the large lakes I want to fish. I'm holding off purchasing a rudder for my OK Prowler, just in case I decide to mount a motor instead. I plan to use the motor to get to, and from, the far end of the lake, and paddle a little once I get to my fishing spot. Didn't really want to have to register a motor boat, but that's not a big deal.

So should I consider putting an electric trolling motor on my yak? If so, what size and style battery do I need? Tips? Problems? Thanks.

Tight Lines.

#2 BigFishLarry

BigFishLarry
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 10:31 AM

Do yourself a favor.....sell your kayak and buy a Hobie with the Mirage Drive! The drive system on the Hobie makes for effortless motion even in a stiff head wind! Your hands will be free for fishing and the Hobie cruises at a perfect trolling speed when desired!! Best of all.....no mechanical issues with a trolling motor!! Give it some thought....go test drive a Hobie......you will love it!;)

#3 BigFishLarry

BigFishLarry
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hobie cover more water faster than you can imagine as well for your long distance jaunts you speak of and you will not tire as easily!

#4 126andy

126andy
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationCalverton, NY

Posted March 25 2012 - 10:33 AM

Here's 2 links the first I was going to mount it on the outside but I decided to change it around a little. The battery is behind the seat about 40lbs but can run that 40lb thrust on high for 5 hrs on a charge. It was only 10bucks to register the kayak in ny but you have to register here even with an electric motor.
http://www.striperso...ry-box-finished
The second link is my improved motor cut down to fit in the outback drive well
http://www.striperso...ent-motor-setup
if you search youtube for 126andy videos you will see how fast it runs when in the water--Good Luck

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be

#5 Skimmer

Skimmer

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks, but knees don't work well, and lower back problems forced me to quit cycling, my favorite sport of all. Peddling a yak wouldn't be any different than peddling a bike.

Andy, I like the thru hull motor mount. It might be doable on the Prowler.

Tight Lines.

#6 wifehatesmefishing

wifehatesmefishing
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 11:10 AM

Check out the bass yaks kits, everything but the battery in a convenient package. You can raise and lower the motor from your seat.

I just put a motor on my hobie tandem through the drive well. With a 55ah agm battery I'm all in for $300.

#7 Lunchbox

Lunchbox

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 8:56 PM

I'm getting to the age where my body parts are giving out, one by one. Arthritis won't let me stand in the cold river to fish any longer, so I bought a kayak to fish from. Now I'm wondering if my tennis elbow will prevent me from doing much paddling, especially in the large lakes I want to fish. I'm holding off purchasing a rudder for my OK Prowler, just in case I decide to mount a motor instead. I plan to use the motor to get to, and from, the far end of the lake, and paddle a little once I get to my fishing spot. Didn't really want to have to register a motor boat, but that's not a big deal.
So should I consider putting an electric trolling motor on my yak? If so, what size and style battery do I need? Tips? Problems? Thanks.

to answer your question ,,, in my opinion , ******** make a conversion kit for your kayak ,,but so does torqeedo ,both are good products , your battery should be at least double the amp hrs of the thrust of the motor,,,if you run wide open you will get an average run time of about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs ,, if you run 1/2 throttle or troll slower 6 - 8 hrs as i have done,, batteries in the group 24 deep cycle marine to the agm batteries,,, also the new litheums they say have up to a 150 mile range ,, but i have not seen 1 yet ,, only read about them

proud memberof the
//AQUA CLEARPRO STAFFER//
(*member formerly known as 'attack mullet')

#8 rhahn427

rhahn427
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 3:50 PM

Love the Torqeedo .......... motor battery and controller weight 15 lbs ........ has a kill switch if you turn ovr or take a swim, uses the lithium magnesium batteries .......... little expensive but worth it ........ the Hobie Evolve is made by Torqeedo ........

#9 126andy

126andy
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationCalverton, NY

Posted March 28 2012 - 5:22 PM

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be

#10 Barbaro

Barbaro

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted March 29 2012 - 10:40 PM

nice video!!!!!!!!!!