advice on restoring classic sears aluminum boat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joegabe1

joegabe1

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 3:56 PM

Hello all, I inherited a old sears roebuck aluminum boat. The paper work says its a 1955 sears roeb 15ft. Is anyone familiar with this model? I'm looking to put a new outboard on it but there is no capacity plate and I can't find any info online. The boat does have some leaks, and it looks likes I will have to rebuild the transom. Is this a project worth starting? any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated thanks Joe

#2 joegabe1

joegabe1

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 4:01 PM

also, I'm not even positive the year is correct from what I understand before 1972 boats were not titled/registered. I'm looking to build a cheap back bay boat. anyone familiar with these models?

#3 joegabe1

joegabe1

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 4:11 PM

[ATTACHMENT=4842]b4.jpg (36k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
I found this pic online, it looks like the same exact model

#4 WoodyCT

WoodyCT
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,376 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 4:49 PM

I have the 12' version and it looks just like yours.

Mine is a '57 and rated up to 10hp. Already stripped the outside with a black 3M sanding pad that goes on the electric drill. Inside next, then a plywood floor.

There is a video on using West Systems Gflex epoxy to fix leaks in aluminum boats on their site. Very easy.

(*edited - please don't refer our members to other websites - thanks. TimS)

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling. - Walton, The Complete Angler

#5 Tom41

Tom41

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 7:33 PM

I have a 14ft 1950 Alumacraft, it's rated for 35hp.  Not sure how similar they are.  I do know that old hull numbers here in MA were no longer any good. I went to the registry with the old reg and bill of sale and they gave me a new hull number right there i had to dremel on the back of the hull.  *  One of them probably has one and can tell you anything you need to know.

(*edited - please don't refer our members to other websites, thanks. TimS)

#6 FenderBender

FenderBender
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 6:02 PM

Hello all, I inherited a old sears roebuck aluminum boat. The paper work says its a 1955 sears roeb 15ft. Is anyone familiar with this model? I'm looking to put a new outboard on it but there is no capacity plate and I can't find any info online. The boat does have some leaks, and it looks likes I will have to rebuild the transom. Is this a project worth starting? any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated thanks Joe

I had a similar craft. Loved it! :kiss: All older riveted hulls leak from the wracking they take on the water. I once used an epoxy paint on my hull that slowed leaks, but they came back. Nature of the beast. If you keep it, UR are gonna have to figure out a bilge pump arrangement. ;) Not sure of your transom problem? :confused: It should be aluminum with a plywood backing and the only way to fix cracked aluminum is to do some aluminum welding. It can be fixed. If I recall correctly, :huh: OMC ratings for a boat that size was probably 25hp. I managed to put a 33 Johnson Super Sea Horse on mine and had a lot of fun with it. :beers: I could pull a skier and at times almost got airborne when I was by myself......... :shock: Your size boat is perfect for back bay activities. Hold on to it as long as U can and enjoy!!! :th:

"All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege" wink.gif

#7 Tom41

Tom41

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 6:11 PM

Speaking of leaks, mine had a few.  Rather than filling it up with water and seeing which rivets were leaking, I picked up a can of pick up truck bed liner at an auto parts store and painted the whole bottom and up sides until I was above water level.  took care of the leaks and made it non-slip too!

#8 FenderBender

FenderBender
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 6:17 PM

Speaking of leaks, mine had a few.  Rather than filling it up with water and seeing which rivets were leaking, I picked up a can of pick up truck bed liner at an auto parts store and painted the whole bottom and up sides until I was above water level.  took care of the leaks and made it non-slip too!

Hey Tom,
The bedliner attack is really a good idea. :clap: Unfortunately for me, way back then, bedliner stuff did not exist>>>>>>>>>>>:o

"All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege" wink.gif

#9 joegabe1

joegabe1

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted March 16 2012 - 10:34 AM

my concern is todays outboards are almost all 4 strokes, i was looking at 9.9 tillers and they were like 100lbs to me that seemed like alot of weight?