18 replies to this topic

#1 Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit

5,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,980 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 7:55 PM

So how often do you replace you line? I find that while trout fishing and using lots of spinners on a spinning reel. That I change my line every two weeks. I've noticed this has helped me cut down on birds nests. :mad: The $7.00 I spend on new line every other week is worth me keeping my sanity. :cool:

#2 riverrunner

riverrunner

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 8:22 AM

I buy bulk line in the poundage and brands I like. On my spinning reels for smallies I always let enough old line on the spool so when I change line I'm only cranking on about 70 yards, probably less. I change line as soon as it just begins to get a bit of memory or I have had a bad day with a lot of snags and break offs. Probably about every 4th day of heavy fishing.

Bait caster not nearly as often and always full spool.

"Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios" Sam Stone / John Prine

#3 BrianZ

BrianZ

Not as tall as Ed J

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 8:24 AM

i use braid so not very often. i have a couple reels that the line lasted way longer than the gears and bearings.

#4 Longgone

Longgone

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted March 07 2012 - 10:00 AM

At the start of each year replace with fresh & have been known to switch line from one reel to another. But a backlash will dictate how often it changes also with the kinks & knicks in it also.

#5 JerryC

JerryC

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 3:12 PM

I always replace my line before the season begins (april), and depending on how much i use that set up, usually by end of june/beggining of july i reline everything again. I'm very anal when it comes to line..

#6 Dog209

Dog209

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 6:51 PM

I do a lot of trout fishing every year .. I was used 8 lb test line P line . I will change my line after 6 month or so . If i did not used that reel too often i will change it around 1 year ..

Good Luck fishing .

#7 DerrickT

DerrickT

Way too many!

• Moderators
  • 50,520 posts
  • LocationEphrata, Pa

Posted March 07 2012 - 6:56 PM

So how often do you replace you line? I find that while trout fishing and using lots of spinners on a spinning reel. That I change my line every two weeks. I've noticed this has helped me cut down on birds nests. :mad: The $7.00 I spend on new line every other week is worth me keeping my sanity. :cool:

Switch to braid and use a fluro leader.

I did that last year and noticed no difference in catch rate.

Everything else I use braid. It gets switched end for end every year. Unless I only used it a couple times.
DMS# 2573

#8 DAQ

DAQ

5,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,212 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 7:45 PM

I really can't remember the last time I replaced the line on my freshwater reels. I run braid on all of my reels and it has probably been more than 5 years since re-spooling (probably a lot longer). When I used mono I would change it every three weeks or so.
"On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"

#9 Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit

5,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,980 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 4:36 AM

Looks like I'm going have to give braid a chance on my trout gear. I'm thinking of going with 6# Sufix 832. It supposedly has the same diameter of 2# test. You don't think I'm going to light, do you? :confused:

#10 littletunnie

littletunnie

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 5:23 AM

I buy the 3000 yd spool Trilene XL 4 lb test and change constantly costs just a little over 1 cent a yard.

#11 jerseycat9

jerseycat9

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 5:50 AM

I change my line 3 or 4 times between November and April. I'm fishing 5 nights a week in that span and I trim a lot of line for abrasion and knot tying. For mono I use nothing but Stren original in clear and it is the most reliable line in my opinion without the mysterious breakoffs and memory issues I've seen with other brands. For braid I've stuck with power pro and so far this year I haven't had the mystery breakoffs I had last year I was getting ready to drop it but it's seems they fixed the problem I hope.
My name is Terry and I am a fisherman!

#12 reel em in

reel em in

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 5:58 AM

I use braid and fish every day Two times a year spring and fall unless something happens and I have to change it in between. 

#13 clambellies

clambellies

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 8:47 AM

I usually use Stealth braid and Berkeley Vanish fluro, and after a while I'll cut back the lines a bit. I'll also put more backing on the spool to make up for the depleted line. Another thing I do, is I flip the line end to end on the spool. Good line is a must and good line is expensive, so why no get the most out of it?

#14 got em

got em

• BST Users
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 10:18 PM

I change my line every year. I use PP braid on one and trilene XL on my other main rod. I mainly use the PP for when I get into the heavy stuff when searching for bass and the elusive "potomac pike"

#15 DerrickT

DerrickT

Way too many!

• Moderators
  • 50,520 posts
  • LocationEphrata, Pa

Posted March 09 2012 - 12:31 AM

Looks like I'm going have to give braid a chance on my trout gear. I'm thinking of going with 6# Sufix 832. It supposedly has the same diameter of 2# test. You don't think I'm going to light, do you? :confused:

You can go up to 8 or 10. Lures will still cast a mile compared to the mono. I use 8# braid and then use 4# or 6# fluro. Some days I just tie a spinner right to the braid and still catch fish. Stock trout are pretty stupid.
DMS# 2573