Susquehanna Flats Kayak Fishing Jamboree Announcement
Posted February 21 2012 - 9:06 PM
Heroes On The Water
April 12th-14th, 2012
Susquehanna State Park Campground
4122 Wilkinson Road
Havre de Grace, MD 21078
Bob Miller (aka Mullet Miller) 302.584.3500 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Reier (aka Yakmike) 410.409.5473 email@example.com
In the strictest of terms, this event will not a tournament. I want it to be more of a gathering of friends for the sake of the camaraderie found within this sport. For this reason, we have reduced the entry fees and have gone with a Jamboree type of format. Saturday Award Dinner, Event T-shirts, and expenses will cost approx $40.00 per person. That will be the only required fee.
The pre-registration deadline is Wed, April 4th, 2012. After that date, registration is still available, but lunch tickets and t-shirt may become limited. Walk-ins will be accepted during the Captains Meeting or by special arrangement pre agreed to by Bob or Mike.
Donations from sponsors will be raffled off to raise money for Heroes On The Water. Many companies donate for the sake of promoting the sport and supporting various charities. These are the companies that we have chosen to align ourselves with in 2012. Please visit their websites and show your appreciation.
Ok, what the hell is a Jamboree, right? Well, what would you call it? Let us lay out our format, and you tell us what to call it;
A NON-mandatory bon-fire Captain’s Meeting will be held on Friday, April 13th, 2012 at 6pm, at the Susquehanna State Park Campground (Event Headquarters). This meeting will be about general information and we’ll be sharing some up to date hot spots. We’ll open up the raffles and Calcutta’s at this time too. We’ll also need to satisfy the traditional good luck toast. Please bring a beverage of your choosing to the meeting.
For bragging rights, and for those with a competitive edge, we will be having some prizes and a few Calcutta’s. Target species will be Striped Bass, Catfish, Large Mouth Bass and Slam. (See Tournament Portion)
We recommend that everyone stay at the Susquehanna State Park Campground. I am working with the Park Director to set up for the event and will have more to post soon.
Captains Meeting Friday, April 13th at 6pm;
We will be posting all of the info to be discussed at the Captains meeting on http://www.striperso...k-fishing-forum early Friday for those that can't make it. The Captains meeting is not mandatory, but will have some info on hotspots etc. Check-in will also happen at this time. T-shirts, door prizes, and Calcutta’s will be taken care of.
What is a Calcutta format?
4 Calcutta’s have been added. We will have one for Striper, Catfish, LMB, Slam & Jr Anglers. They are each $5 to enter and have 100% payback. Biggest fish wins the pot. Remember to bring some cash with you to enter the Calcutta's!!! Only registered participants can enter the Calcutta’s.
The food tab is being picked up by Dupont Performance Polymers Kalrez. we are planning on a catered Pig Roast with a Broccoli Salad and Potato Salad. Dinner will be approximately at 6:00PM at the Amphitheater or a separate campsite provided by the park at the Campground,
This is a standard Catch, Photo and Release event. The State of Maryland Catch and Release Season prohibits the harvest of any Striped Bass. The regulations are available at the DNR Website; http://www.dnr.state...recregchrt.html Please familiarize yourself with them, and practice extreme care with these fish when handling.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be awarded for Slam, Striped Bass, Catfish, LMB and Jr Angler. While we recommend catch and release, legal fish may be kept for consumption without penalty. Please do not bring fish to be judged. We do not need to see them. Please do not keep any Striped Bass.
Categories; Slam, Striped Bass, Catfish, LMB and Jr Division with 100% Payback
It's simple, put $5 bucks in the hat for a division and the biggest takes the loot. You must be registered for the Jamboree to participate in any of the Calcutta’s.
Slam consists of ONE STRIPED BASS, ONE CATFISH, AND ONE OTHER.
The "OTHER FISH" can be a LMB or any other spiecies caught by hook and line only.
Participants in the Calcutta’s can only score a fish once. If you enter your fish in the Slam, you can not enter it into another Calcutta category.
Rules and Regulations;
1. Participation and Eligibility- Participation is open to anyone 18 years of age or older. Minors are eligible to participate with a parent or guardian signature on the release form. A completed participant packet and entry fee must be received no later than 6am, Saturday April 14th unless other terms have been agreed upon by the event director.
2. Registration and Captain’s Meeting- Each participant must register and pay by 6am, April 14th, 2012. Participants’ registration will be open through the captain’s meeting at 6:00 pm – 10pm, Friday, April 13th, and 4:30am – 5:30am, Saturday, Saturday April 14th at The Susquehanna State Park Campground, 4122 Wilkinson Road, Havre de Grace, MD 21078. Attendance at the captain’s meeting is NOT mandatory, but hot spots will be shared freely at the meeting.
3. Rain Date – In the event of poor or dangerous weather conditions the tournament rain date will be Sunday, April 15th, 2012. If the tournament director should cancel the event entirety due to weather, there will not be any refunds as this is a charity event. All prizes will be distributed to participants by way of raffle.
4. Safety and Required Equipment- Safe boating must be observed at all times. Participants are required to comply with US Coast Guard regulations including the possession of US Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (PFD) and a whistle. Handheld signaling device or light are also mandatory.
5. Sportsmanship- All participants are required to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, and conservation. No alcoholic beverages or use of illegal drugs are permitted. Non-compliance with tournament rules and regulations are grounds for immediate disqualification and any prizes awarded must be returned.
6. Permitted Fishing Methods- All fish must be caught with a hook and line only. There is no limit to the number of fishing rods. Kayaks may be inspected by tournament officials before, during and after the start of the tournament for PFD, whistle, handheld signaling device or light and enforcement of rules or fairness to others,. All crafts must be paddled, pedaled, oared, or electric unless authorized by the tournament director. All fish must be caught from the kayak no wading.
7. Permitted Fishing Locations- Participants can launch their kayaks at 5am, Saturday, April 14th. Participants can then fish any area they can paddle to within the Susquehanna Flats Fishery Boundaries. Participant’s may not receive assistance from a non-participant boat, the placing of markers, being towed or riding motored vessels, or receiving electronic, voice, or data communication from non-participants. All fishing locations must be in waters accessible according to the law and US Coast Guard regulations. Participants should consult with locals or the Jamboree staff for launch locations and hot spot recommendations.
8. Digital Camera’s-Each participant must supply their own digital camera with a removable SD card or like storage card, or necessary wiring with USB plug to download photos for judging. Cameras will not be issued by SFKFJ. 1st photo on your camera must be of you, the participant holding your identifier. The 2nd photo must be of your kayak at the time of launch on the day of the event.
9. Scoring- SFKFJ will use a Catch, Photo & Release scoring system determined by the length of each fish (measured nose to fork in tail). Photos of fish to be scored will have to be taken with a measuring device. No bringing fish to weigh-in for measurement; photos must be taken from your kayak or safe location with your kayak and identifier in each photo. Each participant will be issued an identifier and a score card at the Captain’s meeting. Fill out your score card and turn it in to tournament officials as well as your digital camera memory card by Saturday, April 14th at 5:00PM sharp or your fish will not be scored. Please put your name or initials on your memory stick. Participants will get their memory stick back after tournament officials download pictures of fish. SFKFJ has the right to use any tournament photos at their discretion. Ties will be broken by the time the photos are submitted for judging. First fish to be scored will be named the winner.
If we experience slow action on the day of the event we will judge by closest to the Slam. (Any combo of above or even a single species) If there are no entries in a category, the prizes and Calcutta will be given away by special raffle.
10. Check In- Check in will begin at 12:00PM at Tournament Headquarters on Saturday, April 14th. All participants must check in no later than 5:00PM with their score cards and memory sticks.
11. Post Check In Party- Starting at 6:00PM will be the post tournament party including food, beverages, raffles, and sponsor recognition and tournament winners prize ceremony.
12. Protest- All protests must be in writing and delivered to the tournament director within 30 minutes of check in. The tournament director has the final say in all decisions. When in doubt snap a photo of a possible violation and bring it to the attention of the tournament director.
13. Rule Changes- Rules interpretation will be presented to the tournament director. The decisions of the tournament director are final and are not subject to appeal.
14. Release of Liability- A waiver and release of liability form is part of the registration pack and every participant is required to read, initial, sign, and date the waiver and release of liability form or they will not be eligible to participate.
15. Prize Structure- Participants are eligible for more than one first place class prize, one second place class prize, and one third place class prize; but only one prize per class. Each fish may only be used ONCE. Choose which division you enter your catch into carefully. You can not use a fish in the Slam and a Largest fish Category.
16. Raffle- Each contestant will receive one raffle ticket with their meal ticket at check in. Additional raffle tickets may be purchased during the event. You must be present to win any raffle prizes. We have great raffle prizes, tickets will be available starting at 2pm, Saturday, April 14th
17. Times to remember -
Captains Meeting - Friday 6pm
Tournament Launch time – 5am Saturday, April 14th.
Check in – Anytime during the event, Mandatory by 5PM on Saturday to score fish - NO EXCEPTIONS
Award Ceremony and Pig Roast - Saturday 6PM.
18. OTHER INFO -
Maryland Fishing License
Posted February 23 2012 - 9:03 AM
The camp ground is shown in red here. I can't find where the boat ramp is, but it sure is not in walking distance with porting a kayak on a cart.
Posted February 23 2012 - 4:33 PM
I'm working on a Google Earth file with all local ramps.
The Area is huge, but surrounded by a lot of private property. You will have to drive from the Campground to a ramp to launch, not everywhere can be like J-Bay and Salem.
Posted February 23 2012 - 4:43 PM
Posted February 23 2012 - 7:04 PM
Posted February 25 2012 - 6:49 PM
Posted February 25 2012 - 6:57 PM
[ATTACHMENT=4653]Susquehanna Flats Kayak Fishing Jamboree Resitration.doc (23k. doc file)[/ATTACHMENT]
The sooner I can get a head count the better. If you want to send them back via email that's great, we can handle everything else in person.
I have a Google Earth Map that I can send you with local launches, tackle shops, food stores and stuff with lat/lon and street addresses. I can't post it here, the software does not support it, but I'll email you the map if you email me first.
Posted February 29 2012 - 3:31 PM
Founding Member KFA-NY
Captain Kayak Associate
Hobie Team Member
Posted February 29 2012 - 7:15 PM
Mailed mine in today Bob.
Thanks George......psstt.....ringbay the ormsway
Posted March 01 2012 - 8:36 AM
Posted March 01 2012 - 3:42 PM
Thanks George......psstt.....ringbay the ormsway
Founding Member KFA-NY
Captain Kayak Associate
Hobie Team Member
Posted March 01 2012 - 6:56 PM