Best long casting Levelwind Conventional Reels

Rate this topic

techrider62

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to the late '80's, I was having a great time using a Shimano Triton 400 LW which held nearly 500yds of 19lb line. Strip baits [weighted] or whole Garfish or pilchards on ganged hooks would go beyond the breakers off the beach without getting your feet wet...easily.

Ok, in the beginning I had my share of over-runs, but, when you got the "thumb educated" , it would fire well! All I had on that reel was the 'Free-spool tensioner'...  I loved the fact you had heaps of line to fight with and old scraps didn't change the diameter of the spool, so not upsetting casting set-up. ..... all great fun until some unmentionable stole it. :(

Can't find anything these days to come close.. Specs wise.  The way Shimano could make top notch racing bicycle gears and such - they made their level winds as well!

Ambassadors don't get up to the size where you could take the thing jigging or trolling as well... What's left...? I can't find another Shimano anywhere...

What a great forum you guys (& Gals?) have here. Australia just doesn't have these!

Steve. [Aust.] smile.gif

Hello Steve; Surprised you are from the "Land of the Alvey" & didn't mention it :beatin:

• 3 months later...

I have Abus and Akios, but enjoy casting and fishing with my Lexas and Curados.

I have Curado 300E, 300EJ, 300H, Lexa 400, Lexa 300HD and they all outcast my Abus and Akios for my type of fishing. I'm not a distance caster and do not use them for lead and bait. I use them with a popping cork and like the high retrieves that they have so I can get the "slack" out of the line quickly. When I do bait, I use my Trinidad DC's, only drawback is that they are nonlevelwind, but they cast a mile without overrun.

I also throw my custom Abu 7500s, they are all levelwinds.

Edited by quan808

I have a older record 60hc,the 5ballbearing,1iar bearing version looks chrome. And it is the best casting reel I own. And it out cast pro rockets I have had, and other reels. But I have a grey 6500ssc4, pick it up on a trade and crazy enough it will dang near cast right with the record, don't know why but I get about 50 more yards out of them reels compared to other round side plate Abu, and about 20 or 30 yards more than the rockets I have had. And I have had the red and black editon pro rockets and they get smoked. And that's useing the same rod, line, and lead.(I have three 1oz sinkers in-between two swical. Two ft line. I got two pieces of 65lb braid and apiece of 30lb catfish mono holding them. The three pieces of line r all run Thur the sinkers.

• 3 weeks later...

It might be too large for your needs, but the few people who have fished the Shimano Tranx on SOL like it a lot.  I haven't laid hands on it, myself. And the second-generation Calcutta 700, with the narrow spool, might work nicely; I think it offers more space for a controlling thumb then does the Tranx.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Abus and Akios, but enjoy casting and fishing with my Lexas and Curados.

I have Curado 300E, 300EJ, 300H, Lexa 400, Lexa 300HD and they all outcast my Abus and Akios for my type of fishing. I'm not a distance caster and do not use them for lead and bait. I use them with a popping cork and like the high retrieves that they have so I can get the "slack" out of the line quickly. When I do bait, I use my Trinidad DC's, only drawback is that they are nonlevelwind, but they cast a mile without overrun.

I also throw my custom Abu 7500s, they are all levelwinds.

I never gave the Curado a chance from the beach. They do cast very well. Does anyone know how they hold up to the salt water compared to Abu?  The reason I ask is that the Curado is trickier to disassemble and repair.

Otherwise for a good distance levelwind, I like the earlier model 7000HSN, even the gold ones as long as the pinion upgrade is made.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...