Jeep Cherokee

SpearoFI

I found a 2000 2 years ago with 59K on it at a dealership. Around 90K i had the head replaced. Im at 125K now and all i have done is the brakes. I did have a small electrical fire on the way home from fishing one night. I kept smelling something but was too tired to care until someone was honking at me. I replaced the headlight switch but still have an occasional gremlin in the wiring. Keep your eyes out on craigs list and dealerships. I found mine on auto trader i think. Found it one day test drove it the next and drove away that day.

I found a 2000 2 years ago with 59K on it at a dealership. Around 90K i had the head replaced. Im at 125K now and all i have done is the brakes. I did have a small electrical fire on the way home from fishing one night. I kept smelling something but was too tired to care until someone was honking at me. I replaced the headlight switch but still have an occasional gremlin in the wiring. Keep your eyes out on craigs list and dealerships. I found mine on auto trader i think. Found it one day test drove it the next and drove away that day.

The old 331 head casting got you!

If you can find a pre OBDII (95 and older) they are my favorite. I think they ride better and have more power because in 96 they had to change some stuff in the engine to meet emissions. And other than minor wiring problems with lights and such they are about bullet proof. Mine has somewhere around 300,000 mi on it not sure of exact mileage it has been on 227 since I bought it 5 years ago and as far as I can tell is still original engine and trans. Sad thing is body rot is going to take it out of service, having a hard time deciding if I should do the needed maintnance to get it though emissions in three months or retire it and get a newer truck. Just having a hard time finding a replacement thats not already rotting apart :(

If you are looking for a beach truck, I highly reccomend the XJ(standard cherokee, not grand), of any age or mileage. I bought one 3 years ago, with 384k miles on it, and the odometer hadn't worked for 3 years, probably over 450k, and thing ran like a dream. Few things are common issues, but for a beach truck should not be a huge deal. 1, they leak oil out of the rear mains after 150k miles, just happens. 2, AC sucks, they go all the time. 3, for us bigger guys, they are not very big. Otherwise, great truck. Let mine sit for 5 months, never started. Someone came over to look, and did buy it, march, cold day, probably 30, just had some snow, maybe turned over 2x before firing right up. 4wd is INCREDIBLE, although there are shift linkage issues. You just have to throw it in reverse, back up about 25 ft, then put it back in drive, and you are out of 4wd.

If you are looking for a beach truck, I highly reccomend the XJ(standard cherokee, not grand), of any age or mileage. I bought one 3 years ago, with 384k miles on it, and the odometer hadn't worked for 3 years, probably over 450k, and thing ran like a dream. Few things are common issues, but for a beach truck should not be a huge deal. 1, they leak oil out of the rear mains after 150k miles, just happens. 2, AC sucks, they go all the time. 3, for us bigger guys, they are not very big. Otherwise, great truck. Let mine sit for 5 months, never started. Someone came over to look, and did buy it, march, cold day, probably 30, just had some snow, maybe turned over 2x before firing right up. 4wd is INCREDIBLE, although there are shift linkage issues. You just have to throw it in reverse, back up about 25 ft, then put it back in drive, and you are out of 4wd.

Yes mine is a 96 still going strong. no issue.

I'm on my 2nd 2000 cherokee. I love it. Had it almost two years and about 45,000 miles with just routine maintenance and a few inexpensive repairs.

Watch out for the 2000/2001 cherokees with the 4.0, and the imfamous 0331 cylinder head.

Or if you're like me, look for them so you can pick them up cheap when the heads crack. It's about $650 in parts and an afternoon's worth of work, you can flip and put a few grand in your pocket, or keep it and have a great truck for almost nothing.

• 2 weeks later...