9 replies to this topic

#1 Al Sears

Al Sears

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 5:56 AM

We are looking to change counter tops, counter it self in very good condition,just looking/wanting to replace tops vice entire counter, local cabinet/counter says he does not recommend formica over formica but whole new counters with new formica or what have you yet I found couple web sites that more less say go for it . Welcome Comments / Inputs, Oh I AM NOT doing it my self ,just paying for it as per usual . AL

#2 gray gables

gray gables

Way too many!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,868 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 8:00 AM

We are looking to change counter tops, counter it self in very good condition,just looking/wanting to replace tops vice entire counter, local cabinet/counter says he does not recommend formica over formica but whole new counters with new formica or what have you yet I found couple web sites that more less say go for it . Welcome Comments / Inputs, Oh I AM NOT doing it my self ,just paying for it as per usual . AL

I wouldn't do that, tear out the old ones and put in new ones,

#3 derf

derf

5,000 Post Club!

• Administrators
  • 7,740 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 8:20 AM

I wouldn't do that, tear out the old ones and put in new ones,

exactly , you aren't saving enough money to
make it worth while !!
and formica over formica is trouble
derf

#4 cheech

cheech

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 8:48 AM

About a year after getting a new home in 1991 all the counters, cabinets, and vanitys had slabs of formica peeling. The red adhesive supplied by Wilsonart was bad and they made good on a national level. For just a kitchen counter perhaps you could do the demo and upgrade with the money saved.

#5 gadwall8

gadwall8

Way too many!

• Moderators
  • 18,238 posts
  • LocationUneverheardofitstan

Posted January 24 2012 - 10:09 AM

The existing counter top needs to be "like new" no soft spots, dips, humps etc. I did it once, sanded the existing formica with 100 grit and used the solvent based cement. The one I did was simple straight runs, no splices. Splices/seams and bullnoses, is where I would where I would jump off and have a new top fabbed.

YMMV

:v:
"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got not problem leaving it that way."

#6 DerrickT

DerrickT

Way too many!

• Moderators
  • 50,525 posts
  • LocationEphrata, Pa

Posted January 24 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ditto on taking them out and like derf said it leads to nothing but problems.
DMS# 2573

#7 BassNuts

BassNuts

5,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yep...what they said. I tried laminate over laminate in my girlfriends kitchen..all straight runs, and the stuff started lifting after 6 months. Ended up building new ones after all. Go new. You'll be glad you did.
CC

#8 speedracer

speedracer

Way too many!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,604 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 6:07 PM

I did Formica over Formica on my mom's kitchen and it lasted for more than15 years without any problems at all.

---First you have to clean the existing Formica with a strong cleanser to take off all the dirt and grease.
----Then sand the gloss off the entire surface with 100 grit paper.
---After that wipe the whole thing down with lacquer thinner.
---Then use contact cement and glue it down.

I've done this on at least a dozen jobs and it never peeled. The most important thing is the sanding.
You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

#9 reel em in

reel em in

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 6:37 PM

Replace everything with new.

#10 Al Sears

Al Sears

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 7:45 PM

Thanks for replies, showed the wife the response, so she said, well let's just forget the Counter top, I would like a New front door with that etched glass panels on each side. SOB after 49 years I still have no idea what the next day hold's, between her and the cat I dont stand a chance, neither one pay"s any attention to me,both just do as they damm well please , now I know why i liked those long deployments to Western Pacific .

Thanks for input's Al