anything? anywhere?

Rate this topic

youngc

i'm hoping there is more than zero fishing to be had this time of year. without being specific on spots, what kind of freshwater fishing can be done in the winter around here. 'here' being central CT/Farmington Valley. i know there are trout in the rivers. what else is still hanging out? pike? any SM/LM bass?

tell me a little about the SM in the Farmington. what are you using on them? i think you said Black or Purple woolie buggers for fly fishing when we talked last. do you use any spinning gear on the rivers? i ask b/c i don't fly fish when i take my kid to the river. that's asking for trouble! i need to get out and take the frigid plunge.

3" white grub on a 1/4 jighed will catch everything that swims in any CT rivers.

Have your son stand just above a push area and cast across the rivers just taking in enough line to keep the jig in the push area. Trout and SMB will be there waiting.

By the way I just had a very good day on the Farm River. Still lots of trout to play with. I did hook 1 SMB on a Fly while going for Trout. He took a streamer.

Good luck with your boy

Capt Jay is Hooked on plastics

I haven't been down to the Naugutuck or Shetucket this year but I've caught some of the biggest browns of my life chasing atlantic salmon

Not sure if you caught Browns, lots of the Atlnatics can be mistaken to be Browns. There are lots of confusion with that. Not saying it's the case with your fish but I have seen it before on other fishing sites.

I was up teh Farmington a few weeks ago and caught a couple nice browns in the TMA. Wooly buggers on a sink tip line. I have never caught smallies in the Farmington. Do you catch them below Farmington near Rainbow resevoir or near teh mouth of the CT??