• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Max4

Max4
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 12:27 PM

What are some of the New Years traditions for good luck in the new year that you or your family do?

We fix blackeyed peas with our New Years day dinner and put a dime in the bowl of peas and whoever gets the dime is supposed to have extra good fortune etc. in the new year?:D

#2 flytyingguy1

flytyingguy1
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,961 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 12:32 PM

We do something similar hiding a coin in the Plum Pudding ( Christmas Pudding ) . Same out come.

#3 Pedalman

Pedalman

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 12:35 PM

On the Swedish side of my family they used to say the first food you had to eat after midnight was pickled herring and you will have good liuck in the coming year. After a bunch of years I still do it. I will be the last one as my kids hate pickled herring. I love it....Happy New Year to all...John

#4 paxriver

paxriver
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 12:40 PM

Sheppard pie or pomme de terre Parmentier.
Flan or creme brullee.
Pinot gris.

Happy New Year. SOL forever.

#5 gray gables

gray gables
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,971 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 1:41 PM

usually get lobsters every year, not this year, not doing anything, I'll be in bed by 11 and up by 6am, yawn,

#6 Steve in Mass

Steve in Mass
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,695 posts
  • LocationFoxborough, Ma

Posted December 31 2011 - 2:00 PM

On the Swedish side of my family they used to say the first food you had to eat after midnight was pickled herring and you will have good liuck in the coming year. After a bunch of years I still do it. I will be the last one as my kids hate pickled herring. I love it....Happy New Year to all...John

Yep, I purposely bought pickled herring today for just that purpose.

Also, put some money (even a penny) under the mat outside your door before midnight to bring you riches in the coming year.

Also, the first person to step into you house after midnight should be a male, and preferably carrying money, salt, and/or wine.

SOL Member #174

#7 40shades-of-blue

40shades-of-blue
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted December 31 2011 - 2:43 PM

This year I got USA caught colossal shrimp, Filet Mignon, cheese cake and Makers Mark whiskey for dinner. I'll probably be asleep when the ball drops. I plan on hitting the beach tomorrow and hope to start the year off right with a bass or two.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

#8 flytyingguy1

flytyingguy1
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,961 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 2:58 PM

usually get lobsters every year, not this year, not doing anything, I'll be in bed by 11 and up by 6am, yawn,

See what Happens when you spend all your $$ on Plugs! :laugh: Happy New Year Buddy.

Yep, I purposely bought pickled herring today for just that purpose.
Also, put some money (even a penny) under the mat outside your door before midnight to bring you riches in the coming year.
Also, the first person to step into you house after midnight should be a male, and preferably carrying money, salt, and/or wine.

How about a Lemon? :D :wave: Happy New Years to you & Donna.............

#9 gray gables

gray gables
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,971 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 3:16 PM

See what Happens when you spend all your $$ on Plugs! :laugh: Happy New Year Buddy.
How about a Lemon? :D :wave: Happy New Years to you & Donna.............

nah, it's not that, just no into lobsters this year, maybe just go out for seafood later on when the wife gets home from work,

#10 DarterMan

DarterMan
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,763 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 8:02 PM

The wifey has a fever :(, so we're just staying home with the boys tonight...

Had Raimo's take-out with the boys - wife staying in bed :(

Still:

Happy New Year to everyone!!!!!

<p><p></p></p>

#11 Max4

Max4
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 9:14 PM

Still:

Well Darter I sure hope your wife feels better and you all start the new year WITHOUT ANY illness! That is my prayer really for everyone NO SICKNESS in 2012!! God Bless everyone and thanks for a good first year here on SOL you ALL are tops!! MAX & the Mrs.:love:

#12 Max4

Max4
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 9:19 PM

Thanks for posting all of your new year stuff keep em coming very interesting! HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM MINE TO YOURS EVERYBODY GOD BLESS!!!!:angel:

#13 Max4

Max4
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 9:21 PM

This year I got USA caught colossal shrimp, Filet Mignon, cheese cake and Makers Mark whiskey for dinner. I'll probably be asleep when the ball drops. I plan on hitting the beach tomorrow and hope to start the year off right with a bass or two.

I am so glad to see someone else eating USA CAUGHT SHRIMP YEAH!!!!!!! It is the only shrimp we will eat!!!

#14 Max4

Max4
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 9:24 PM

We eat saltfish( salt brine cured herring) in my neck of the woods in the spring time when the herring run starts Yum! Usually eaten at breakfast with eggs etc. more yummy!:)

#15 DarterMan

DarterMan
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,763 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 9:58 PM

Still:

Well Darter I sure hope your wife feels better and you all start the new year WITHOUT ANY illness! That is my prayer really for everyone NO SICKNESS in 2012!! God Bless everyone and thanks for a good first year here on SOL you ALL are tops!! MAX & the Mrs.:love:

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. MAX. - Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

<p><p></p></p>