• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Slingin Eels

Slingin Eels
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 7:23 AM

Does anyone know where this word originated from? I hear this word being thrown around timelessly from a lot of sharpies and other guys in the surf community. Interesting to know who started this word and if the word originated here in NJ or in neigboring states that have surf fishing communities. I read about the word alot. Comical, because I might just be a googan myself but don't carry a 5 gallon white bucket when I fish. Lol. Let's here some responses....hopefully Squidlips will chime in since he his a major contributor on here.

(*edited - we don't discuss other sites here - thanks :) TimS)

• -

#2 Leatherface

Leatherface
  • Way too many!

• 16,698 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 8:36 AM

I believe it all started last fall on the SS. ;)

• -
LIBBA #1818

#3 Charlie2

Charlie2
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 11:18 AM

Do a Google on 'Googan'. There's several definitions listed.

BTW; what's with the 'white bucket' comment? I am not a Googan by any definition, but do carry a white drywall bucket, and a tackle bag when fishing.

Origin? Unknown. C2

• -
Pay it Forward- George(Gowge) Pope RIP

#4 Leatherface

Leatherface
  • Way too many!

• 16,698 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 11:20 AM

I think white is better than orange.

• -
LIBBA #1818

#5 Jason B

Jason B
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 11:51 AM

That benign comment has just caused the price of used old white painter's buckets to skyrocket on ebay.

I don't know where the word originated, but it was being used on this site from almost day one.

• -
"It's the weekend, you don't exist to me." The Hangover

#6 TimS

TimS
  • "Humble Head Tyrant"

• 80,582 posts
  • LocationShark River Hills, NJ

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:05 PM

Googan has been around for probably a decade or more. It's widely used and has nothing to do with the color of your bucket or even ownership/use of a bucket :wave: A "googan" is a person that majestically combines a complete lack of common sense, an utter lack of fishing experience and a overwhelming willingness to mess up, interfere with or screw up anyone fishing within 100yds of them :freak:

:)

TimS

• -

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.
We love our stripers - please don't take more than yah need.

#7 Leatherface

Leatherface
  • Way too many!

• 16,698 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:10 PM

That benign comment has just caused the price of used old white painter's buckets to skyrocket on ebay.
I don't know where the word originated, but it was being used on this site from almost day one.

Posted Image

• -
LIBBA #1818

#8 Slingin Eels

Slingin Eels
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Tim and everyone else that contributed to this thread. The reason I asked is because I witnessed a guy carrying a white bucket this past weekend and some guys I were around mentioned the word Goog in correspondence to his ownership of the white bucket. Now, I posted that I might be a googan because I have used a white bucket and was wondering if this implies to the action of being a white bucket jockey. No harm, no foul. Just thought it was funny and wanted to see if the originator was a guy here on SOL. Thanks

• -

#9 Tfisher

Tfisher
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 1:31 PM

damn - is blue ok ??? :( :p

• -
Professional Novice

#10 TimS

TimS
  • "Humble Head Tyrant"

• 80,582 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 2:07 PM

Thanks Tim and everyone else that contributed to this thread. The reason I asked is because I witnessed a guy carrying a white bucket this past weekend and some guys I were around mentioned the word Goog in correspondence to his ownership of the white bucket. Now, I posted that I might be a googan because I have used a white bucket and was wondering if this implies to the action of being a white bucket jockey. No harm, no foul. Just thought it was funny and wanted to see if the originator was a guy here on SOL. Thanks

I'm not real sure who first used the word, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't someone here :)

TimS

• -

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

#11 Leatherface

Leatherface
  • Way too many!

• 16,698 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 2:11 PM

LOL!!

• -
LIBBA #1818

#12 Shaky

Shaky
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,768 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 3:20 PM

Googan has been around for probably a decade or more. It's widely used and has nothing to do with the color of your bucket or even ownership/use of a bucket :wave: A "googan" is a person that majestically combines a complete lack of common sense, an utter lack of fishing experience and a overwhelming willingness to mess up, interfere with or screw up anyone fishing within 100yds of them :freak:
:)
TimS

Try two decades at least. I first heard it in 90 or 91 out in Montauk. My buddy Pete, who used to mate on the Mistress Too blurted it out one day either in Freddies or on the beach. My friend guppy who was part of Campo's crew said it was Capt. Paul Stern who coined the phrase. Who knows it may go back farther than that.

I do know that our little clique started using the word quite a bit. Pete, Scotty Parker, Harry Ellis (a local) Teddy in the shop and a few others. It really gained in popularity, so much so that googans were actually calling other people googans. I'm pretty sure west coasters now use the term. Like anything else the internetz ruined it, but the early nineties it was pretty much a Montauk thing. Like anything else the word has been over used, doesn't sting as much as it did back then. :)

• -
"I'll take Veal Cutlet for twenty Alex"

#13 gadabout

gadabout
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 5:15 PM

I don't know how long the term "Googan" has been around, but a couple of decades sounds about right. When I lived in Brooklyn, the term "Mook" was common among the Sheepshead Bay party boat crowd and had about the same meaning as Googan.

Personally, I think the use of the word is distasteful and makes grown men look like adolescents in my eyes. And yeah, I've been seen with a white bucket plenty of times.

• -

#14 Stewie

Stewie
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,910 posts
  • Locationa little North and West of Boston

Posted December 06 2011 - 5:56 PM

I have a white 6 gallon bucket with me when I'm ice fishing. What else am I supposed to sit on? :huh:

• -
.........Elvis lives....2015

#15 TimS

TimS
  • "Humble Head Tyrant"

• 80,582 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 7:32 PM

I don't know how long the term "Googan" has been around, but a couple of decades sounds about right. When I lived in Brooklyn, the term "Mook" was common among the Sheepshead Bay party boat crowd and had about the same meaning as Googan.
Personally, I think the use of the word is distasteful and makes grown men look like adolescents in my eyes. And yeah, I've been seen with a white bucket plenty of times.

I remember "mook" :clap: It was also making it rounds in the Belmar party boat crowd in the late 70's/early 80's :th: It wasn't distasteful, it was a term used to bust balls. We used to call each other "mooks" when ya did something stupid :freak:

• -