Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveCap

Fishing in Bermuda.

12 posts in this topic

I'll be there for a few days soon. I know it's not a flyfishing hotspot, but I hear there are fish to be had.

I did a search on here and found some info. The gent who requested and received info never updated. I tried to PM to no avail.

I'm just looking to steal a few hours in the AM a few times. nothing hardcore.

Any updated info? places I can fish the beach? Possibly a guide name or two?

I'm bringing one rod, an 8wt. and a floating line. Would I need an intermediate also?

I think I'm good with my fly selection.

Can anyone else offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

DC

Most of the fly fishing takes place in Hamilton Bay, not sure about DIY access but get creative while on your Moped I guess.

A quick search of Bermuda Bonefishing brought up a few guides and other readables.

The only time I fished in Bermuda was 29 years ago next week on my honeymoon. Stayed at the Princess Hotel, right in hamilton and fished the bulkhead outside the hotel. Staff from the cruiseship were also there, they used handlines, I used a spiing rod and reel. I believe the fish were Chub and something else, but dough balls on a hook were the ticket. Good size mixed in, up to 10 lbs. and a good fight, couldn't get them to hit anything artificial. Anyway, along the docks anywhere should be good, aftrall, cruise ships pull in there so the water has to be deep. (at least 40 ft., fish come up for the doughballs though, maybe 6 to 8 ft down., chum them a little, you'll be amazed. Night time was best.

Was there in June for a few days.. spectacular place.. great people and very fishing friendly.. meaning no license required, and easy, mostly free access to beaches/flats .While I was with the family, I only got to do a little fishing..It turned into more of a scouting mission.. although I didn't bring a fly rod.. I had some spinning tackle and found plenty of targets.. Lots of critters swimming around the docks.. tough to fool on artificials..mostly reef-type species , but False albacore will occasionally provide shots off the piers... I rented a boat one day to explore, and found some sweet flats where i saw some really nice Bonefish and some huge barracuda.. but my success was limited to a couple hookups on bones, and a few cuda on the jigs/metals.. I'll be better prepared next time.. If I had only a couple days to spend, I would concentrate on the Somerset/ Long Bay area.. Beautiful flats, dotted with turtle grass, with some scattered reef outcroppings that i found teeming with life when i snorkeled.. As the tide came up, pods of bonefish where constantly moving through ... never saw another angler either.. There are plenty of guides/charters to be had.. apparently the marlin/offshore fishing can be hot at times.. although I did not avail myself..preferring to rent a boat and explore on my own.. maybe next time..I will certainly be going back.. Have a great trip!

Across the street from the Aquarium (its the only one) there is a little bay/inlet with small wooden dock. There are some large "jack" type fish around that dock. When I was there I really wished I had had a fly rod to see what I could do with them. If you try them let me know how it goes. I can't wait to go back with a fly rod. Can't go wrong with a trip to Bermuda.

Thank you all for the help.

Welcome to the site Famous Wolf. I see you had a rocky start there, but don't let that dissuade you from sticking around and adding to and benfiting from the site.

You're by no means, the first.

Cheers

DC

DC, don't know when you're going, hope you get this info.

If you want a guide, google "jump dem bones". The original owner James Pearman passed away a little while ago but his business is being run by a friend / associate. When I hired him he was the only flats fishing guide on the island. That was back in '87. I don't know why but there is very little flyfishing going on there and there is no where there that sells any fly gear. Trust me on that one.   

There are definitely big bonefish there. The flats off the beach at Pompano Beach are probably the best on the island. That area in general I think has the the best flats.

For flys, leave the shimp imitations at home. There are no shimp in those waters. The bones eat seaworms. Any weighted flys with a reddish brown color will work. Just work it slow on the bottom.

Hope u get this in time, good luck

DC, just came across your post about going to Bermuda. Wondering if you have gone yet and how you made out fishing. I'm going there next August and staying at the Cambridge Beaches. Planning to bring the flyfishing gear and fish the beaches and hope to rent a boat for at least one day out on the water. Any any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave