Spec trout tactics?

Rate this topic

Jollywan

Spec's on this coast are very rare...there are some caught now and then and mostly in the backwaters and bays. A few years ago they were being caught at IRI in early November...not many though...

I caught a few in March this year on the lower DelMarVa P, in the back.

The Elizabeth River in Virginia has been a so-called "hot spot" for Spec's...

Poppy

• 2 weeks later...
There are a bajillion in the surf right now on the OBX, most small , but a few momichogs thrown in now and again to keep your interest up

OK, not to derail the thread but momichog is a term I've never heard before but sounds a lot like mummichog which is a minnow. I assume it is an obx regionalism, much like fairy diddle is a regionalism for flying squirrel or catamont is a regionalism for mountain lion.

There are a bajillion in the surf right now on the OBX, most small , but a few momichogs thrown in now and again to keep your interest up

OK, not to derail the thread but momichog is a term I've never heard before but sounds a lot like mummichog which is a minnow. I assume it is an obx regionalism, much like fairy diddle is a regionalism for flying squirrel or catamont is a regionalism for mountain lion.

Nope, by context I would say it refers to a bigger trout.

Oh and BTW... killies will outfish mummies 2-1. In my best dutchman at a bait shop, "gif me da keelies fur da veakies un da fluenders ok? .... I don vunt da yellabellies."

'Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.' Mark Twain

Hopefully the trout come back have never caught one but would like to. :D

Speckled Trout and Yellowfin (Grey) Trout are two completely seperate critters... this falls been good for shallow water Specs around the Chesapeake Bay waters. However, I do miss casting and jigging structure during May into June for Weakies, and especially fall jigging the schools of fish. Their population has always been cyclic, hope to see an upswing again before retirement. I've seen them up and down too many times; unfortunately the downs seem to be getting longer, and the highs shorter.

Speckled Trout fishing will put you into some of 'MarVa's most wonderful places, God's Land, and I don't mean the hot ditch on the Elizabeth. Warning, it can be addicting.

Yea I was referring to the yellow fin trout. Hear so many different stories from different people but they were pretty much gone when I started fishing the salt in 2005. Like to see Dad catch another big one before he can't fish with us anymore.