Photo

Replaing a 14" rough in toilet with a 12".

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ahg

ahg

Elite Member

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hope someone can help me out with this.

I need to replace a toilet, which has a 14" rough in. Can I replace it with a 12" rough in toilet?

Also, Kohlr does not have any 14" toilet only American standard seems to make them, how does American Standard caompare in quality to Kohler?

thanks.

#2 woodbutcher

woodbutcher

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 12:09 PM

Install an offset closet flange and use a 12" toilet?

#3 cheech

cheech

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 4:27 PM

Pay extra and get the 14" rough toilet your happy with, brands mean little with toilets. Moving the flange means altering the floor, and you may have cast iron, a leadbend, or some other plumbing headache to deal with.

#4 speedracer

speedracer

Way too many!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,604 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 5:09 PM

Yes you can replace it with a 12" toilet. There will be a bigger space behind the tank, but most people won't even notice.

Installing an offset flange will give you 1-1/2 "if I remember correctly, but it can be a lot of work to do depending on the conditions.
You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

#5 woodbutcher

woodbutcher

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 7:59 PM

Another thing just came to mind.
Hopefully this toilet is not part of a back-to-back installation. If it is, many of the new low flow, so-called "high efficiency" toilets will cause a problem that has nothing to do with going 14" to 12".

#6 ahg

ahg

Elite Member

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted October 23 2011 - 9:01 AM

Pay extra and get the 14" rough toilet your happy with, brands mean little with toilets. Moving the flange means altering the floor, and you may have cast iron, a leadbend, or some other plumbing headache to deal with.

My choice would have been to get a 14" rough toilet, but the waits are in excess of 2 weeks to get them and the choices are very limited.

Yes you can replace it with a 12" toilet. There will be a bigger space behind the tank, but most people won't even notice.
Installing an offset flange will give you 1-1/2 "if I remember correctly, but it can be a lot of work to do depending on the conditions.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, thanks a lot for clarifying about the tank space from the wall.

Another thing just came to mind.
Hopefully this toilet is not part of a back-to-back installation. If it is, many of the new low flow, so-called "high efficiency" toilets will cause a problem that has nothing to do with going 14" to 12".

By back to back you mean two toilets on either side of a wall? I have a bathroom on each of two levels.

Thanks all for the replies.

#7 Stewie

Stewie

Way too many!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,864 posts
  • Locationa little North and West of Boston

Posted October 23 2011 - 10:34 AM

Give F.W. Webb up the street a call. They have a great stock of plumbing supplies, less than ten minutes from your house. ;)
.........Elvis lives....2015

#8 woodbutcher

woodbutcher

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted October 23 2011 - 12:53 PM

By back to back you mean two toilets on either side of a wall?

Yes.