wachusett reservoir salmon fishing

Rate this topic

pl978

Hi, ive been fishing for a long time, but havent tried salmon fishing yet and would really like to start salmon fishing. I was wondering where i could fish for salmon in the wachusett reservoir or rivers that connect to it and would right now be a good time to fish for them? what should i use to try and catch them? tips and advice would be very helpful. thank you.

* It's best after a few days of rain @ the mouth of the rivers for the next month or so. Worms or a 3/8oz. gold Kastmaster work well.

(*edited - please don't refer people to other websites when they come here to get answers - thanks. TimS)

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

The vaguarity (is that a word??? - LOL) of some of the responses is due to the fact that it's the policy of the site not to 'spot burn' or give away specific location information...So we can't answer your last question....however, call Wachusett Bait and Tackle and they'll tell you yay or nay...I personally would've thought it's just a week or two early for that...but hey, who knows???

Are you sure you're not thinking lake trout?

From Mass. Wildlife:

Wachusett Reservoir, the second largest waterbody in the state, has a maximum depth of 120 ft and a mean of 48 ft. As of 1999, the reservoir contained 12 native and 12 introduced species of fish. The limited access, combined with abundant, high quality habitat, produced state records for brown trout, landlocked salmon, smallmouth bass and white perch, even though more than 1.5 million people live within a 25 mile radius.

There are no fish in the Canal. In fact, there is no Canal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRappa View Post

Are you sure you're not thinking lake trout?

no im talking about salmon, but anyways i would like to catch a laker too so you can tell about how to catchem. ive never ever caught a laker or salmon before, so it would be nice to catch one this fall.

When I fish Wachusett for Salmon or Lakers I almost always throw metals, either Kastmasters, or some swimming jig. In years past I have had luck with bucktails or soft plastics on a lead head. For Salmon I like to have my offering in the upper half of the water column. For Lakers I like to have my offering right at the bottom.

Embrace American Privilege

no im talking about salmon, but anyways i would like to catch a laker too so you can tell about how to catchem. ive never ever caught a laker or salmon before, so it would be nice to catch one this fall. 

Your a little early but you will catch something there. Lakers will take larger spoons, 1/2, 3/4 even 1oz. The Krockadile is the king for lakers in 5/8oz. Kastmasters to 3/4oz. Get these in yellow perch or firetiger color, and fish dawn & or dusk. If you like to fish bait, med shiners and yellow perch caught in the resy can work all day on the bottom, but still best dawn & dusk.

For salmon smaller spoons work best, 3/8 to 1/4oz. Kastmasters in gold w/ red and the other colors mentioned. Use the smaller ones the closer you get to the rivers. For bait use 1/2 a nightcrawler on a bobber in the shallow water, w/ a sinker in deeper.

Depending on the rod you have you can chose methods. If you need help w/ locations PM me. ;)

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

stillwater river is what you're looking for - no secret here, but it starts up in mid-sept

Have you heard of the Quiny? ;) And each area takes a different approach to be successful.