DIY Push Pole
Posted July 07 2011 - 09:04 AM
To me it's the best way to stay quiet in calm water and to assure I don't hit a big rock up here on the north shore when plying skinny water.
1. Bamboo- Find the straightest piece you can find. Mine had a bit of a bend at the top 1/5
2. Varnish- I would think optional but might help preventing drying and looks sweet as it adds a nice golden glow to the bamboo. Soft in the hands too. I used Satin Gloss Marinespar.
3. PVC "T" for the foot
4. (2) PVC Caps for the foot
5. PVC Cement
6. 3M 5200 adhesive.
Wash and scrub the bamboo after drying. NOTE DO NOT SAND AS HEAT GUN WILL NOT WORK AFTER SANDING! Also I did not add weight to the foot. I was afraid when mounted to the gunnels of my CC, it would bounce around too much with the added weight at the end. This will float a bit but I don't think it'll be of issue getting it down to the bottom.
1. Hacksaw- Best saw to use for cutting bamboo and the branches that come off it.
2. Heat Gun- To "burn" which allows the sugar? to come to the surface of the bamboo giving it a nice golden glow.
3. Disposable foam brushes for varnishing.
4. Mallet to set in foot and caps.
NOTE: After cutting I allowed the bamboo to dry out in the sun outdoors a good 2 1/2 months.
Posted July 07 2011 - 12:31 PM
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before
Posted July 07 2011 - 07:00 PM
Posted July 12 2011 - 11:09 PM
Frank II --- If anyone needs me, I'll be in my MAN CAVE, rotating the laundry. ----- C.C.A. - American Littoral Society Tagger w/ 54 returns - Vietnam Veteran Army
Posted July 13 2011 - 07:38 AM
G.Loomis Push Poles
GL11412 18' $650.00 discontinued
GL11413 21' $695.00 discontinued
Push Pole Components
GL22620 Ferrule $22.00 discontinued
GL50583 Forked End Cap $42.00 discontinued
GL50584 Pointed End Cap $22.00 discontinued
GL54998 Pointed End Cap w/ Metal Tip $36.00 discontinued
Fly Fishermen tend to HATE low tech, especially those that can't cast 35'.