Crazy glue on hardwood

Rate this topic

HanoverStriper

I accidentally spilled gorilla glue on my hardwood floors, right in the living room. Trying to wipe it up only made things worse. Wife is not exactly thrilled with me right now. I have read a few different suggestions and tried a couple. Warm soapy water did nothing. Hand Sanitizer did nothing. I read maybe nail polish remover, but that could possibly damage the floor as well. What are my best options? Lightly sand and poly it again? This is a high traffic visible area, so I'd hate to make it worse. Thanks!

F TOMBO

For the cyanoacrylate version:

Take a single edge razor blade and holding it 90 degrees to the floor, gently scrape away as much as you can. Acetone will be needed to remove the rest.

For the Polyurethane version: scrape as above, wet sand.

YMMV

:v:

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

You mentioned nail polish remover. IF you decide to do that, be sure to get the stuff that has acetone in it, as some of the newer ones don't, or have very low percentages of it. You are better off getting real acetone if you can.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

There is CA remover.

You find it in your local hobby shop, it may have a green lid, and label.

It works well when the glue is fresh, but will work, with some elbow grease, when dry.

If the glue went through the finish, and into the wood, good luck, sanding will be required.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

There is CA remover.

You find it in your local hobby shop, it may have a green lid, and label.

It works well when the glue is fresh, but will work, with some elbow grease, when dry.

If the glue went through the finish, and into the wood, good luck, sanding will be required.

Thanks. Will it have any affect on the hardwood finish?

F TOMBO

How many boards are damaged? Is it a prefinished floor or a sanded and finished floor? Never seen the light sanding and refinishing work. The glare difference (if that makes since) stands out worst than the damage. If it is prefinish and you have extra boards you can do a board replacement fairly easily. Though depending on how old the floor is the new board can stick out like a sore thumb.

Had a similar issue at a job where someone walked over a new bamboo floor with flooring glue on their shoes. Tried everything to get the glue up but everything either did not remove the glue or damaged the existing finish. Board replacement was the only solution.

Dumb all over with a little ugly on the side.

How many boards are damaged? Is it a prefinished floor or a sanded and finished floor? Never seen the light sanding and refinishing work. The glare difference (if that makes since) stands out worst than the damage. If it is prefinish and you have extra boards you can do a board replacement fairly easily. Though depending on how old the floor is the new board can stick out like a sore thumb.

Had a similar issue at a job where someone walked over a new bamboo floor with flooring glue on their shoes. Tried everything to get the glue up but everything either did not remove the glue or damaged the existing finish. Board replacement was the only solution.

I would guess 3-4 boards total, sanded and finished floor. The house was built in 55, and I assume these are original floors. We had them refinished when we bought the house 6 years ago. Replacing the boards in this location would most likely not be an option.

F TOMBO

I would guess 3-4 boards total, sanded and finished floor. The house was built in 55, and I assume these are original floors. We had them refinished when we bought the house 6 years ago. Replacing the boards in this location would most likely not be an option.

Call the folks who refinished your floor, they will know what works on the finish they put on your floor.

Yes, you can mess it up where they won't try to help, if you want.

If it was pre-finished from a factory it would be hard to replicate the finish.

If being stupid got us into this mess, how come being stupid can't get us out?
I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all.