C Bass

North Shore Report

5,816 posts in this topic

I fished the high tide at Cape Ann tonight. My buddy managed to get three stripers, one of which was a small keeper. He used frozen herring chunks, even though the choggies would destroy his bait within minutes. I jigged a couple of macks and livelined them but nothing hit them before they died. In terms of bait in the area, 2 hours after high tide big schools of small fish started feeding on even smaller bait. Initially, I thought it was macks but could not get one on the castmaster and switched to a sabiki rig. I was surprised to get a few 3-4 inch pollocks. There were so many of them, jumping all over the place, and I livelined one but no hits. I guess they were just feeding. I hope fishing starts to pick up soon.

Cheers,

D

Fished some rocky areas off Rockport Sunday afternoon and again in the evening, all from a boat. Found macks pretty easily, but couldn't get anything to take them. Tremendous amount of bioluminessence in the water. Nice show, but didn't seem to help the fishing.

Took the boat up to Newburyport Monday to see if the action might be a little heavier. Followed some birds around in the morning and couldn't buy a hit. Birds everywhere, and saw an umbrella-guy picking up short bass. Trolled swimmers to finally pick up a couple nice blues. Birds changed locations so we decided to give them another shot. Found 26-34" blues on metal and top-water. Metal would pick them up every cast, but top-water is more fun. Ended up landing ~20 fish over the course of a few hours. Gonna try Rockport again tonight to see if we can't find fish a little closer to home. Good luck out there. PG

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisher9910 View Post

Anyone been getting fish in the marblehead/salem area?

Was out E of Bakers N of Halfway Rock. Got 3 hookups. Big Bluefish. Headed in when the skys looked bad.

I went out for a few hours this morning (rocky location near Gloucester) and fished part of the incoming tide.  I got skunked, although I got two light strikes on plugs.  There was bait in the area (8-9" pollock), as I jigged a couple of them and livelined them.

CBass, I'm thinking about heading there tomorrow morning, probably by five.  I'm not entirely sold on it but it would be nice to fish once more before the storm.

Deniz,

Were you fishing from shore or boat?  I haven't seen any stripers taken from shore the last few weekends when I've managed to get out.

I got several strikes from blues this weekend, but I'm hoping the storm changes the striper fishing for the better up here in the Gloucester area.

If anyone has a minute to write, I'd be interested to hear how your pre-storm fishing went on the North Shore, to compare with how things shape up over the next couple weeks.

No fish at PI on Saturday night where I was for an hour either side of high. We were more shocked at the beach erosion, since my fishing buddy hadnt been there in 10 years

Fished the incoming tide Saturday the 27th around 6AM from shore at my favorite rock pile. Perfectly flat calm, no wind - greasy look to the water, was no groundswell of any kind at this point. As I had hoped, the feedbag was out prior to Irene. My fishing partner and I each bagged a 30-31 incher. Two other hookups not capitalized on. Tried the spot again on the outgoing just after noon and bagged another 31 incher. Saw several other keeper size fish swimming around right at our feet in the crystal clear water. We'll see what effect Irene had on the fishing when we try again tomorrow night!

I fished parking lot 3 on the refuge at PI and then the river.......talk about a disappointment!

We fished Lot 3 on Sat. from when the gates opened until 6PM when they made us leave. Nothing but skates on the bait rods. Nothing on plugs. Saw 1 small fish caught on worms. Seemed to be plenty of bait fish along the shoreline but nothing harrasing them.

Russ, I fish from shore! I get on a boat only when I get an invite for a friend. I went to Cape Ann on Saturday and saw a few decent stripers swimming by but I could not get any maccks to liveline. I livelined a pollock and a choggy but the stripers would just show up and check them out but no takers. They looked like in the 30-32'' range. I was really disappointed I could not get any macks.

I hit a popular Glocester spot today that was packed with herring and macks before the hurricane but only had one hit by a bluefish that my buddy lost. At least I loaded a full cooler with macks for bait. I was surprised there were no stripers around with so much bait present. I'm open to suggestions how to transport live macks. I'm going to Glocester tomorrow for the high tide again and will post an update when I get back. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussB View Post

Deniz,

Were you fishing from shore or boat?  I haven't seen any stripers taken from shore the last few weekends when I've managed to get out.

I got several strikes from blues this weekend, but I'm hoping the storm changes the striper fishing for the better up here in the Gloucester area.

If anyone has a minute to write, I'd be interested to hear how your pre-storm fishing went on the North Shore, to compare with how things shape up over the next couple weeks.

Went out Fri. fished 6 hours from Magnolia to Deveroux beach out to 3 miles or so. Couldn't catch a cold. Tried every swimming plug I had then went to the wire and a Niner's rig. Nothing. I hit all my productive spots I know. Nothing.