C Bass

North Shore Report

5,492 posts in this topic

I went out at 4am yesterday morning to a popular pre-Gloucester rocky spot on Cape Ann. MikefromBeverly and I fished until 7 with little to show for our efforts. He did hook up, on a blue, that took some serious line, but lost the fish. I was chunking and live lining and only had a few takes. The heat was wretched and the flies were incredible! Walking back the the car, I probably had 75 flies all over me. They were big ones like house flies! Brutal! Not exactly how I envisioned the morning playing out.

I fished from pre-dawn to near dusk yesterday. First trip was up to a Cape Ann Island and Wreck to live line macks. 7 hours of line lining for a handful of blues. Packed the kayak up and landed on the beach and loaded up back down 128 and took the long way home, 1A south stopping into Brothers for Greek Omelet and side of Linguica Sausage in Salem and then proceeded to turn in to every beach and open stretches of ocean to scan with binocs for afternoon birds on the incoming tide. Sure enough, I found birds, parked and launched from a North Shore Beach and it was all bass for a couple of hours. They were blasting sea herring of varied size. Most were those common 33" which was nice after the beating I took in Cape Ann with Macks in hopes off bigger bass. Sometimes you have to work hard to find bass, sometimes it's easy but happiness usually follows a Greek Omelet!

Here were my findings on water temps which may or may not have played a role with the bass:

Cape Ann Rockport/Gloucester: 68.9

North Shore Nahant/Swampscott: 58.6 Degrees

That's one hell of a day Riddler! You showed quite a commitment to the catch...while I packed up and went home to take care of my kids all day. Congrats on the fish, you earned them yesterday!:)

The fear of Rt. 1 traffic southbound because of the unfortunate rollover and explosion of a tanker was the main reason to divert. Everything else was was just winged. :D

I saw the fire glow and smelled the smoke at 3:20am. On the way up I could not pick up rt. 1 north anywhere from Chelsea or Revere, or Malden, I had to go up Fellsway East until I came up by northern Saugus and Kelley's before I was able to pick up rt. 1 north.

A tragedy on Route One for sure and it looked like quite the scene. It's good to hear that your efforts paid off and at least you found some fish though as I for one was skunked totally. I didn't see nary a bird flying or a fish to be found -or even bait fish for that matter. Granted I got to fishing a bit later than I would have liked but still nothing at all. I was also surprised at how low the water temp was as it was hovering around 66-68 most of the week and I was reading the same as you last night.

Can't beat Brother's omlettes though --maybe I'll try that before heading out tonight....

North Shore Nahant/Swampscott: 58.6 Degrees

Striped Bass feeds have been great in that area for the past week.

Stripers were just killing it in Marblehead Harbor last night (7/28)!  Huge blitz, breaking the surface for about an hour.  It was a blast!

Out last night in Marbelhead from shore and not even a hit. beach had a few guys but no one did anything from 7:30PM till 12AM. Glad to hear the fish are in the harbor but it appears they are staying away from the shore. :confused:

Stripers were just killing it in Marblehead Harbor last night (7/28)!  Huge blitz, breaking the surface for about an hour.  It was a blast!

Any idea what they were feeding on?

I have been watching birds diving for the last three days just past Jubilee YC. Just diving ,not much splashing. Will try to wet a line this weekend.

Macs.  Also was told yesterday that the night time fishing off Marblehead has been tremendous.  Good friend landed four stripers over 35 inches on Saturday night.

I fished the Cape Ann area yesterday. Macks are still around in large numbers. I fish from shore and managed to get a schoolie and a small keeper. Lost a few fish too. I'm going to fish there over the weekend again and will post an update afterwards.

D

Macs.  Also was told yesterday that the night time fishing off Marblehead has been tremendous.  Good friend landed four stripers over 35 inches on Saturday night.

If you can, I'd suggest using live bait (macs, herring, etc) as that's what I've had the best luck on. Last Sunday, I didn't have a lot time so I only caught a few bait fish -which were quickly used up -all landed decent size fish but after that they weren't hitting anything...tried chunk [frozen] mac/herring, umpteen lures, etc and nothing. Yesterday evening I caught a couple of small ones using chunk macks but they were few and far between -despite trying a live eel in the same spots. Not a bird in site either so it was searching the rocks, etc.

Had a friend who said the same thing although he was from the shore and was using eels but after they ran out, he said nothing was to be had. This was all before dark though...haven't had a chane to try anything at night yet this year...

Rocky location near Gloucester from 4:30 a.m. to 8: 30 a.m.  Three strikes, two bluefish landed, 25" and 32".

CBass, I caught both fish within ten minutes of each other fishing right between those two guys who were next to you when you were there.

All in all, pretty slow action today and no bass, but the 32" blue was fun to fight, and pretty tasty, too.

Congrats on the blue Russ! I only had that one take...and I feel like I did not let him run enough. I fished Beverly Harbor at high tide this morning and got skunked again. Not even a bump. There were no visible bait fish to speak of either. Let me know when your going back to the rocky spot and maybe we can join forces:)