Waders leaking but no hole ?

Rate this topic

Lazha

Hey, I was wading tonight and all of a sudden I felt water inside, I came out took my waders off and my pants were completely wet, like I just pee'd on my self. I got froggs sock waders with simms boots. I checked waders and can't find a single hole, this was maybe my 6 or 7th time using these waders and were washed after every trip. My socks underneath wader socks were dry but pants were wet.. WTH ? Anyone knows what's up ? Oh, I was only belt high in the water so had plenty of spare wader room.

You probably have a pinhole leak. You probably won't see a hole. You can try to find it by using a bright flashlight inside the waders where you think the hole is, theory being the light will shine through the hole. Surer bet is to make sure the outside of the waders are dry, then fill them with water. The water will eventually leak out of the hole.

I just washed them and again thoroughly looked through and did not find anything. I will try the flashlight and water idea to see if I can find something, thanks. If I do find a hole, will crazy glue work ?

Almost certainly the seams are leaking. This happens wether you spend hundreds of pounds or a few. The fact is that the seams are a weak point and WILL leak sooner or later no matter how much the waders cost. You have 2 options. Buy Orvis and they will always replace a leaking set or get them treated. Here in the U.K. there is a chap who repairs commercial diving suits and he will treat the seams to a very high standard. After this treatment they generally withstand few years of very heavy use, even in the salt.

Turn them inside out and rub the inside with rubbing alcohol. The hole will show up as a black blotch. Also rub the seams. Then aquaseal the hole. Very common. If it is the seams take them back.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

Well I would assume these would have lasted longer then 5-7 trips of short wading :mad:.. maybe few hours each trip. .

Don't be so sure of that, i am going through the same thing used my waders twice and they were leaking. Took them back to ll bean got a new pair. first time out my crotch is wet. Leaked right out of the box. Going to take them back too.

Turn them inside out and rub the inside with rubbing alcohol. The hole will show up as a black blotch. Also rub the seams. Then aquaseal the hole. Very common. If it is the seams take them back.

And when you use the aquaseal. Make sure the fabric is perfectly flat. Not necc. easy to do with the crotch area.

And apply it very thin. As you don't want a bead of silicone rubbing against your junk!!!!! Learned the hard way. I like using a plastic putty knife to smear it on evenly.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I second the alcohol method for finding leaks. Also, do not Aquaseal the seams if your waders are still under warranty. Some companies void the warranty if you do Aquaseal the seam because it makes it impossible to repair the seams after that. If theya re under warranty, send them back, otherwise Aquaseal them.

How did you wash them?

I second the alcohol method for finding leaks. Also, do not Aquaseal the seams if your waders are still under warranty. Some companies void the warranty if you do Aquaseal the seam because it makes it impossible to repair the seams after that. If theya re under warranty, send them back, otherwise Aquaseal them.

How did you wash them?

I was them with a shower head with a little cooler then room temperature water.

I tried the alcohol method but I don't think I was doing it right. I turned them inside out, drenched a Q-tip and went over the seams with it. I didn't see any discoloration. Did I do it wrong ?

How did you wash them?

I was them with a shower head with a little cooler then room temperature water.

I tried the alcohol method but I don't think I was doing it right. I turned them inside out, drenched a Q-tip and went over the seams with it. I didn't see any discoloration. Did I do it wrong ?

If its seems, the best way to tell where is based on what part of your pants were wet. So, if it was the left leg inside, you would aquaseal that same area on the waders and it wouldnt be a bad idea to seal up the crotch area. I have had to do this so many times sigh.

If your whole leg was wet and you had a puddle in your sock, bring em back; you should bring em back anyways with only a few trips.