Budget saltwater reel recomendation

Rate this topic

mitchellgoosen

So i just got into fly fishing, was doing a bit of freshwater, but now that saltwater season is starting to heat up i wanna switch over. I have a 9 foot lamiglas custom built rod labeled 8/9 weight. Dont know too much about the rod, havent even casted it yet. I bought a used reel that i planned on putting onto for the time being that broke this morning so i would like to just jump in and get something semi decent. My budget is about $100.

Off & On at eBay you could pick up an Orion Large Arbor reel for $100 or less. Easily the best reel for the money in my opinion. They were originally a little over $200 but became discontinued last year. I think the Orion LA #4 was the "pick" of the litter as a 9/10/11 wt. capacity reel. And at $100 dollars (or less) ... a very decent reel at a price point below most "spools" of higher end gear.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor reels were selling for $89, right now $109 on Amazon. Good solid reel for the money and beefy enough in larger sizes. When I first started I picked up a couple cheap composite reels with sealed delrin drag sold by Echo at the time that are very light for all day casting and have held up good to salt. I do much kayak fishing and wind up using my cheaper set-ups as everything gets abused. Get something and get started as most anything you get will last a few seasons without trouble till you see how serious you are. Have fun...

I'm a huge fan of Lamson-Waterworks; their 'base model' is the Konic (which I own in 5wt version) & retails at a very reasonable price. The conical drag system in them could slow down a submarine.

I also own their Litespeed in an 8wt for my saltwater/salmon setup. They make good reels.
@mattrevors

I use this reel on my 9wt rod for striper, and have no complain of the quality and realibility for the price. prestige plus III is 7-8wt, and weights 6.4 oz. It is only $50 for the reel, and $25 for a spare spool. I have both II and III.

I would research warrantees on them before buying, even if it is only a $100 reel. Past experience usually indicates that less expensive generally means more susceptible to corrosion in the salt. Fresh water not nearly as much of an issue.