How much does a 20ft Starcraft w/135 weigh?

Rate this topic

Not exacly sure for a 20 but the 19'bay series fiberglass cc weighs 1340 plus about 430-440 lbs for the mercury prob 400lb for a trailer. so my opinion would be a vehicle that can tow at least 2500lb but 3500 min would be better cause these weights are before fuel, fishing gear, coolers, ice and whatever else in the cooler

v6 4runner is rated to tow 4500 lbs.

I disagree that you need that much towing capacity. I had a 1,000 lb 18'cc, with galvanized trailer, and 400 lb outboard, and towed it with a Honda element, FWD, rated 1,000 lbs towing with no brakes, 2,000 lbs with brakes on the trailer. Never once had an issue. I would not drive it to florida, but within an hour, just stay aware, and you'll be fine. Think of it this way, 4 people in a car, 200 lbs each, nearly the same as towing 1,000 lbs.

Now, also, i don't think that a car that is rated for 1k lbs can do it.

To find the weight, you can use nada guides to look up the year and everything, it will provide weight. I saw a 20' "fishmaster" from starcraft, at 1809 lbs. Add 400 for the motor, 400 for the trailer, you got 2600 lbs. a LOT of 20 trailers come with surge brakes, and with surge brakes, I would say the highest tow rating you need is 3k lbs, because 1809 is dry with no people or gear. Add some fuel, some fishing rods, gear, etc. but 3k lbs should be fine.

probably 75% of SUV's can pull 3k lbs.

if its an aluminum starcraft cc. mine ways 950 without the motor, motor is about 350- 400 lbs , plus gear and trailer. hope this helps. mine is a 21 ft starcraft cc with an 80 hp merc. i have a t top, 15hp , 4stroke kicker and 30 gallons of fuel, 2 batterys , gear ect. and i pull it with a ford ranger v6 4x4. my truck is rated for 3800 lbs . i feel the boat on hills but it will do it ok.

v6 4runner is rated to tow 4500 lbs.

I disagree that you need that much towing capacity. I had a 1,000 lb 18'cc, with galvanized trailer, and 400 lb outboard, and towed it with a Honda element, FWD, rated 1,000 lbs towing with no brakes, 2,000 lbs with brakes on the trailer. Never once had an issue. I would not drive it to florida, but within an hour, just stay aware, and you'll be fine. Think of it this way, 4 people in a car, 200 lbs each, nearly the same as towing 1,000 lbs.

I dont agree with this because 1000lbs inside of the wheelbase is not the same as a trailer that extends 23 feet behind the vehicle. There is a reason for tow limits, it could be the drivetrain or transmission will not handle the load for very long, maybe the brakes are not up to stopping an extra 2000lbs of weight maybe the wheelbase is too short or the vehicle does not have a full frame. The Element is a unit body and does not have a full frame I personally would not tow more than a utility trailer with such a small vehicle but too each their own

^Not anymore, did. Now I tow my 2500 lb V20, with my FJ Cruiser. I towed that boat/truck combo 60 miles 2x, and other than that, towed it a total of about 3 miles, for the 5 years i had it, so I didn't tow it far, but I was towing like 2,000 lbs, on a car rated for 1,000 lbs(honda civic has a tow rating of 1,000 lbs for your information), and it did not affect it's handling much at all. This was with an 18' CC bayboat. Im not saying you need to regularly go over your tow limit, and I feel once you get over 2,000 lbs, going over your town limit is much more critical than if you stay under 2,000 lbs. Also, although it may be a unibody, the tailgate on the honda element is rated at 1,000 lbs on the tailgate alone.

That said, if your truck is rated for maybe 1500 lbs, depending on the vehicle, and size of the trailer, and what exactly your towing, going a bit over is probably alright. When adding brakes to a trailer, generally does a LOT to your towing capacity, and your owners manual likely has 2 different ratings, one without brakes, one with, and you can readily find trailers from 17-20 ft with brakes on them. One thing to keep in mind, is that if you can turn off OVERDRIVE, 99% of the time, you want to turn off overdrive when towing.

so you would tow a 2000lbs trailer with a vehicle rated for 1000lbs and think thats ok. You have just been lucky that nothing went wrong. Thats just not too smart, but thats your boat and your vehicle so do what you want. I was just suggesting what i would want for a tow vehicle. i would rather err on on the safe side and not be stupid, but like I said too each their own ideas

Back on point here for a moment, perhaps this will help. This is what I have on my center console.

18.5 fiberglass CC, 1600lbs

115 yami, 500lbs

T-top, 150lbs?

leaning post, 100lbs

60 gallon fuel tank 360lbs

Misc gear (boat)300lbs

Msc fishing gear 300lbs

TOTAL 3310 lbs

Dry weight of boat doesn't include accessories, or upgrades, like t-tops, electronics, batteries, even hydraulic steeing. Misc gear is radio, tool box and all the other crap you have below deck or in storage. Misc fishing gear is rods to tackle box, to filet tables, extra rod holders.

From the amount above oh sure you could tow it with a volvo wagon or a minivan- these vehicles were not intended to tow, brake or stop 3000 extra pounds, nor do they have transmissions to do so. Transmission coolers, power steeling coolers & tighter heavier rear springs are other considerations. Further considerations besides where and tear on a lesser vehicle is the boat ramp itself, often wet- this where the extra towing capacity becomes helpful.

My vehicle has 5000 towing capacity with a tow package and I have never worried at all, while towing, launching or leaving. I can drive to the cape at 60-70mph and get about 12-15 mpg- not towing I get about 22.

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but an old hull with wood and/or foam might be considerably more weight than listed. Going to a scale is a good way to determine the integrity of the hull. There is a good chance that an older hull may have become wet over the years, any hole not properly sealed will let water in over the years.

O'D