Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Red Phillips Knot

14 posts in this topic

Wink Man made a post in the knot failure thread and shared about the Red Phillips Knot for joining leader to Braid.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...2&postcount=22

I used it last night on sub legal sized striped bass on a bait casting outfit with 20lb Power Pro and 20lb Mono leader. This knot is simple, high breaking strength during a pull test, easy to tie even in low light situations and done quickly. I'm impressed. What we need to do is a knot shootout with scale comparing Red Phillips, Albright, Double Uni, Slim Beauty, Bimini and Alberto's.

no problem as long as you include the Sebile knot as well.... would be interesting to see how they preformed..

this as easy to tie as your shoe laces...

8285839">View PostLooks good for lighter lines!smile.gif

Actually, it works quite well with heavier lines also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4vcivH9feg

View PostWhat we need to do is a knot shootout with scale comparing Red Phillips, Albright, Double Uni, Slim Beauty, Bimini and Alberto's.

I'm not interested in doing a shootout, but it might be interesting to see. As I stated in the previous thread, I've used the Albright, Reverse Albright, and Crazy Alberto in addition to the Red Philips knot. Strength was never an issue with any of them, as I'm sure it isn't with the other knots mentioned either.

For me, I need a combination of strength along with ease of tying quickly and efficiently and NO crazy glue to keep the knot from unravelling. It seems like every pair of jeans and shirt I own has little hard spots all over them from drips of crazy glue, LOL. For me, this knot is definitely the answer.

A 2-turn nail knot in the mono will put the tag-end of the mono parallel to the mono, not at 90 degrees like the overhand knot does.

View PostAs I stated in the previous thread, I've used the Albright, Reverse Albright, and Crazy Alberto in addition to the Red Philips knot. Strength was never an issue with any of them, as I'm sure it isn't with the other knots mentioned either.

We will disagree there. Breaking strength is different with all you listed. I've tried em all. None are 100% breaking strength. It varies.

View PostWe will disagree there. Breaking strength is different with all you listed. I've tried em all. None are 100% breaking strength. It varies.

We're not disagreeing, what I was saying in reality is that any of the knots I mentioned that I have used are more than strong enough to do what I need them to do.

The only strength percentage I know is is that I'm told a uni to uni has 70% breaking strength of the line, not sure how true that is but it's what I've been told.

For my purposes, I'm generally using 50 lb. Power pro with a 60 lb. mono leader for stripers and my drag is always set with a scale at between 8 to 10 lbs, depending on the particular outfit, so with a max of 10 lbs. of drag, in theory, even if the knot only has 50% breaking strength of the line(50lb), it would get the job done for me.

I'll give the knot a try this season. Easier to tie than a uni to uni and smaller. Don't really like the uni to uni loops being able to rub on each other.

Thanks wink man & riddler!

Quote:

[TABLE]

[TR]

Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post

We will disagree there. Breaking strength is different with all you listed. I've tried em all. None are 100% breaking strength. It varies.

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

We're not disagreeing, what I was saying in reality is that any of the knots I mentioned that I have used are more than strong enough to do what I need them to do.

The only strength percentage I know is is that I'm told a uni to uni has 70% breaking strength of the line, not sure how true that is but it's what I've been told.

For my purposes, I'm generally using 50 lb. Power pro with a 60 lb. mono leader for stripers and my drag is always set with a scale at between 8 to 10 lbs, depending on the particular outfit, so with a max of 10 lbs. of drag, in theory, even if the knot only has 50% breaking strength of the line(50lb), it would get the job done for me.[/quote]

I can't see you having any issues with that, heck i use far far lighter braid than that and the knots always hold on larger fish and rays, and i put a ton of pressure on them.

The Bristol knot is also easy and strong.

When I found the Red Philips knot last spring, that was it for me. Had nothing but excellent results with it. Not a single slip all season and lots and lots of fish and throwing. That's a great knot and with me needing reading glasses now, out on the rocks at night is easier than many of the other knots. Glasses never seem to stay dry and getting this knot down just improved my season greatly. I'm sticking with it.

I've also gotten rid of any and all swivels and snaps and now use a bowline knot for all plugs and lures. I just vary the size of the loop depending on the presentation and how much action I need from whatever I'm using.

Two great knots that have changed my style when out.

I'll give the knot a try this season. Easier to tie than a uni to uni and smaller. Don't really like the uni to uni loops being able to rub on each other.

Thanks wink man & riddler!

The double nail knot is the best. 99 out of a 100 times it will not break on the knot. The only thing is it's not easy to tie. I use it all the time. I make my knots ahead of time. It's hard to use a nail, I get a piece of wire about 2'' long and pull the wire out. then I use the wire like a straw. works neat. I keep some short pieces in my tackle box , just in case.

I learned this connection from Darth Baiter about four years ago. It's a great knot and in the four years I have been using it I have had zero knot failure. Good to see others are catching on to it. ;)

So far, so good. No big stripers testing them yet (half dozen mid 30"ers et al). I've got it on an 8.5' casting rig tossing metals & 7' casting rigs of jigged soft plastics and stickbaits. A few eye loops have failed (30lb flouro rubbed raw at the eye), but the red phillips still look good.