Braid to mono knot failure

Rate this topic

Doubling lines through a bimini or spider hitch, in order to tie to a shock leader, is more grief then it's worth - IMHO.

The Alberto knot is fussy and I suspect that there is an optimal number of turns up/turns down for each plausible combination of thicknesses of running line and leader. The thicker the leader the harder it is to snug down any knot. I'd suggest the OP try a greater or lesser number of turns up and down.

View PostI think the concept is good, and the uni to uni is definitely a proven knot, but you have to rethink it once you start getting larger than 30LB mono or flouro for leader material. I often use 60LB Trilene Big Game as leader material for stripers, often tied to 40 to 50 LB Power Pro braid as my running line.

This pic shows both knots tied with 60Lb. Trilene Big Game and 40Lb red power pro. Upper knot is the Red Phillips tied with a 5 wrap uni, bottom knot is a uni to uni with 5 wraps on the power pro and 5 wraps on the 60 LB mono. I personally would much rather have the upper knot to fish with AND to have running through my guides if need be.

P4060008.jpg

I always use a swivel with leaders 40# and up, use a uni to connect the swivel to the braid. Use the uni to uni to connect mono backing to braid so the knot doesn't go thru the guides very often.

the nice thing about the sebile know is there is no bend or knot in the mono it lays straight and the very small tag lies towards the reel so nothing to catch on guides as it goes out and it is about 1/2 the thickness of above pictured knot...

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

I'm beginning to dislike PowerPro. Too many failures.

The only successful knot holding fluorocarbon to braid that I've fished with is the double Albright with a Bimini finish. It doesn't take long to tie, but you do tie up and cut off a lot of braid, and unless you make a deep crease in the fluoro leader where it ties in, it will eventually fail.

Mono is easier for braid to grip. It's not as strong or clear a leader material as fluoro but you won't be tossing away your heavy rigs or lures half the time.

Most of the time with most coastal fish species you can get away with a quality swivel between the braid and the leader, and that's where fluoro shines.

Love America, or ... why live here?

Thanks for all the knot advice and tips. I'll be trying them out during the day when time allows.

How well do splice knots take the abuse of going through the guides? Is there a "wear factor" involved in these knots over time? How often do you retie a splice?

I just started tying the Sebile knot this month and test casting in my local pond with regular and Mojo type guides. So far, they seem to work real well. Last year I used no "shock leader"(mono thru the guides & couple turns around the spool). Just 30/40 lb braid to 4/5 foot mono leader via a swivel. This year on one setup I am going down to 20lb braid to a 30lb shock leader via a Sebile knot to see if I get any notable gain in distance.

So far the Sebile knot has the smallest profile and smoothest through the guides verses the uni to uni, Slim Beauty, Red Phillips, Alberto and a couple other Albright modification knots. But, how strong is it "under the gun"?

View PostSo far the Sebile knot has the smallest profile and smoothest through the guides verses the uni to uni, Slim Beauty, Red Phillips, Alberto and a couple other Albright modification knots. But, how strong is it "under the gun"?

I've used the sebile for 3 years with 30, 40, 50 and 65lb braid to 40 and 50lb mono, never had a break off. In the tests I've run, the braid fails before the mono or the knot.

Yeah, sure, you betcha.

Take a sharpie with you and make a mark a foot away from your knot. If anything fails, you'll know if it was your knot. It doesn't take much contact with a rock to pop braid.

I lost a dragon using an overhand to uni knot(65lb PP and 50 or 60lb Ande leader material). I blamed the knotbiggrin.gif. I'm sure it was rough skin or a rock that made the line pop, but I had my drag locked at about 20 lbs and both thumbs jammed into the spool at the time.cwm31.gif

.........Elvis lives....2020

• 3 weeks later...
View Post

How well do splice knots take the abuse of going through the guides? Is there a "wear factor" involved in these knots over time? How often do you retie a splice?

They definitely take abuse getting banged up on the guides. A good rule of thumb is to tie a fresh one every time you're heading out.

It's also been said that these knots need retying after a big fight.

I've had the Albright and the Alberto knot fail on me with 60# PP and 50# mono.

Uni to Uni is too bulky to use as a shock leader knot, and i've had uni to overhand fail too.

As opposed to some terminal knots that can be tied somewhat sloppy and expected to tighten up with use, these line joining knots have to be tied and tightened down perfectly before hitting the water.